What's a good deer hunting rifle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-30 the best all around rifle

Why? Short range, okay, but 200 yards is really stretching it. In the woods, okay, but in the open, not enough gun, even with the new soft point Hornady hot rounds.

Traditional deer gun, defended stoutly by traditionalists, but far from best all around cartridge. CB

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why? Short range, okay, but 200 yards is really stretching it. In the woods, okay, but in the open, not enough gun, even with the new soft point Hornady hot rounds.

Traditional deer gun, defended stoutly by traditionalists, but far from best all around cartridge. CB

I agree because it is actually 270

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I'm tagging in alittle late but even though I am a magnummaniac and shoot a .300 RUM I still consider the .270 Win to be the end all be all for whitetails with the '06 and .308 coming in close behind.

As far as bowhunting, do yourself a favor and go to a reputable bow shop and let them set you up. You can go crazy with all the variables associated with bows. Even more so than with firearms. I consider myself pretty savvy with guns but somewhat of a novice with bows. I trusted the advice of Bills in Claremore with a new Matthews Outback 6 years ago. Have been deadly accurate and successful since without deviating much from the original setup. Bottom line, spend your time and money practicing and hunting rather than chasing your tail.

Rayce

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As we find in any sport you can spend about as much as you want to.. I personally have carried my .223 New England Firearms Single shot, marginal tasco scope. I have taken two does and one buck with it over the last four years. I recently bought a NEF .243 It shoots a little father, straighter than the .223 but is more expensive to shoot. I may try it this year, The one thing I like about the NEF single shot, It's safe, light, reliable and can take a beating. Not that I'm hard on the equipment or anything, hunting outdoors is tough on a gun.. So I don't feel so bad if it gets wet, or a little banged up.. You can pick one up for about 200-250 depending on where you look.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Why? Because it is a hunters rifle. You know, for those who hunt.
There is no best all around cartridge but there are some all around shooters.

Pat

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know not everyone will agree with me on this but there is a reason why the .308 (or NATO) caliber is the choice for Military and SWAT Law Enforcement and thats because of penatration and most important for us hunters......accuracy. Its a very consistant caliber no matter if the barrel has fowling or is hot it stays on target better than any other. The size of bullet and casing is a great balance that equals greater accuracy. Effective long range out to 800 - 1000yds also.

7mm Rem Mag is another great caliber that I like as long as you can get used to the recoil. It really isn't all that bad after getting used to it.

I own a Remy 700 Police .308, Tikka T3 .308 and Weatherby Vanguard Sporter 7mm Rem Mag and I'd say the Tikka is your absolute best bang for the buck. The Tikka is a very very nice rifle.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know not everyone will agree with me on this but there is a reason why the .308 (or NATO) caliber is the choice for Military and SWAT Law Enforcement and thats because of penatration and most important for us hunters......accuracy. Its a very consistant caliber no matter if the barrel has fowling or is hot it stays on target better than any other. The size of bullet and casing is a great balance that equals greater accuracy. Effective long range out to 800 - 1000yds also.

7mm Rem Mag is another great caliber that I like as long as you can get used to the recoil. It really isn't all that bad after getting used to it.

I own a Remy 700 Police .308, Tikka T3 .308 and Weatherby Vanguard Sporter 7mm Rem Mag and I'd say the Tikka is your absolute best bang for the buck. The Tikka is a very very nice rifle.

308 is the choice that is made for them not by them. the 308 is not considered effective for deer at 800 yards.that being said I am a big fan of 308 for deer

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know at least a few local snipers on SWAT teams that use .243. At least they used to. I Looked today at a HOWA in .308. Niiiice rifle. Smooth action and the trigger was great. :flamed:

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is the Thompson Icon T30 with my new scope on it Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. I can't wait for deer season.

ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k270_razvan76_Guns_20Related_DSCI1142.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom