When to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
now, the deer are hitting corn pretty good right now. most of their regular forage is burned up. i lease 480 acres, the landowner is already bring hay in. even the cows don't have anything to eat!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Something with more protien is better for this time of the year, if corn is all you have access to they'll still gobble it up though, I usually start about this time of the year just so I can see what's in the area for game cams.

HerkyBird

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something with more protien is better for this time of the year, if corn is all you have access to they'll still gobble it up though, I usually start about this time of the year just so I can see what's in the area for game cams.

I'm new to the whole "feeding the deer" thing. It's illegal in Ga. What feed with more protein would you suggest?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sportsman Choice makes a real good blend in pellet form. They make an ok blend in "nugget" form. It lookssimilar in shape to small dog food.

Mix any protein pelleted feed about 1 part pellets to 2 parts corn until deer are readily consuming. Then up to 1-1 ratio and then you can up to 2 parts pellets and 1 part corn if you choose too.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $9.00 for a 40 lb bag at Atwoods. How does that compare to years past?

Because that is where I was, that is what I bought just yesterday too. Last year I bought either 40 or 50 lb bags at Academy for $8. It isn't THAT much more from last year, but when you look at the price a few years ago I know it has changed quite a bit, but last year was my first year to buy so I can't tell you specifics on anything further back.

I've heard several people say they just feed year round, or close to it. How many of ya'll do that?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
academy was 7.99 last week and wally world is actually cheaper this year a t 8.27. if you have the means to buy in bulk, that is the way to go. the mill in guthrie was the best deal last year for bulk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom