Where do atheists get their morality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukivel

Marksman
Reaction score
because I am a Christian, not a tribal idol-worshipping heathen, it'll be OK.

That's a bold statement, considering you are standing IN tribal land...oh and, Christianity has killed more people than Indians. Albeit, I would probably concur that we are better off with Christianity, as much as it pains me to state.

Are there not idols in Christianity?

Morality comes from knowing right from wrong (which may be the question). Simple as that.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a bold statement, considering you are standing IN tribal land...oh and, Christianity has killed more people than Indians. Albeit, I would probably concur that we are better off with Christianity, as much as it pains me to state.

Are there not idols in Christianity?

Morality comes from knowing right from wrong (which may be the question). Simple as that.

First off, I wasn't speaking specifically of Indians. (and if I was, I reckon I have some right to be here, as my grandad's grandma was forced to move here via the Trail of Tears)

And yes, some Christians still have idols, I expect most of us do, whether or not we recognize it at the time.

So devoid of Christianity, we get compassion for POWs like the Japanese, and Vietnamese? Perhaps the kindly conduct between the different Muslim sects? Look to the Talmud for the other side of that coin - not exactly an egalitarian manifesto.

If we look at Christ's teaching - it clearly commands us to treat our fellow men(not just Christians) as we would wish to be treated, as opposed to forcing our religion on them, or killing infidels.

Obviously, we have failed miserably at this, but it is something to strive for. Compassion, and liberty.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So devoid of Christianity, we get compassion for POWs like the Japanese, and Vietnamese? Perhaps the kindly conduct between the different Muslim sects? Look to the Talmud for the other side of that coin - not exactly an egalitarian manifesto.

And with Christianity, we get "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.[sup]1[/sup]"

As you so eloquently put it, "If we look at Christ's teaching - it clearly commands us to treat our fellow men(not just Christians) as we would wish to be treated, as opposed to forcing our religion on them, or killing infidels." Such a pity that so many self-proclaimed Christians can't manage even One Commandment.

1. "Kill them all. God will know his own."

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, Skinner didn't "prove" it...in fact, he ignored nearly everything in the invisible "black box" we call cognition. And it's clear you don't understand the basic etiology of sociopathy, let alone the problem with using an outlier as "proof" of normality. I'm just going to assume you are making guesses about these things...guesses based on very outdated models in psychology.

Nothing 'causes' sociopathy; it is a lack of development. If you believe I'm wrong, show me where I'm wrong. Implying I have no credibility doesn't cut it. Expound on those new models that makes whatever model you think I'm using outdated.

You haven't refuted this:
Me said:
One way to identify it is there is no treatment, no drug or operation that will cure a sociopath. It is a psychosis. It's mental and not a physical defect. But then you know that.

Woody

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing 'causes' sociopathy; it is a lack of development.
Do you have any evidence for this? Or is it just your opinion?

If you believe I'm wrong, show me where I'm wrong.
If I can get a sense of where your reasoning is coming from, I can discuss it. At this point, I have no insight into your logic. I'm not going to spend considerable time on the topic of sociopathy/morality/etc. unless you're willing to give me some insight into what you are thinking...given that you are the one making claims.

Implying I have no credibility doesn't cut it.
Where/when did I do that?

Expound on those new models that makes whatever model you think I'm using outdated.
See above.

You haven't refuted this:
See above.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YukonGlocker said:
Me said:
Implying I have no credibility doesn't cut it.
Where/when did I do that?

Right here:
YukonGlocker said:
And it's clear you don't understand the basic etiology of sociopathy, let alone the problem with using an outlier as "proof" of normality. I'm just going to assume you are making guesses about these things...

YukonGlocker said:
If I can get a sense of where your reasoning is coming from, I can discuss it. At this point, I have no insight into your logic. I'm not going to spend considerable time on the topic of sociopathy/morality/etc. unless you're willing to give me some insight into what you are thinking...given that you are the one making claims.

You said you think I'm just guessing. That appears to be your sense of where my reasoning is coming from. So, go ahead and tell me if you think I'm wrong - you haven't so far - and fill me in on what you think is right. My 'logic' is the understanding of what I have read corroberated by observation. What's yours?

You claim I have no understanding of the etiology of sociopathy, ergo, you must have some understanding of the etiology of sociopathy in order to make the claim that I don't - or are you just guessing?

Can you refute this?
Me said:
One way to identify it is there is no treatment, no drug or operation that will cure a sociopath. It is a psychosis. It's mental and not a physical defect.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom