Which reloading press do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are reloading multiple calibers, in significant quantities, a Dillon 550 is hard to beat. If you reload a few calibers, in very significant consumer quantities, a Dillon 650 may be the step-up to take.

I'm set up to load 3 rifle calibers (5.56, .308 Win & .30-06) as well as around 8 pistol calibers, on a Dillon 550. Last night, in just over a couple hours, I cranked out 1,000 40 S&W lead bullet practice rounds. No way can I keep up my practice ammo supply numbers up to snuff with a single stage or a turret press.

My dependable RCBS single stage press lives under my loading bench, banished for the last 10 years to the darkness of "too dang slow".

With a 550, caliber change overs take maybe 5 minutes, provided your dies are pre-set in spare tool holders. If I need to also do the primer size swap, that's maybe another 5 minutes.

Dillon's customer service to machine owners is legendarily excellent in the reloading industry.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a CH auto champ MK3 progressive that I bought new in1974 for .45's that has been an excellent press, I also have a Lee turret and a Lyman Spar t turret I use for other calibers that I don't shoot as much of.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've pretty well used most of the single stage brands over the years.
I've got a Pacific on one bench. A RCBS and a Hornady on the other.
Got a Lee progressive setting on the shelf. Used a Dillon back when I shot competitive.
Been thinking about one of those Hornady L-N-L jobs for my 38/357 loads.

My brother uses one of the little Lee hammer presses for his 45-70 loads.
I started with one of those waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first started.

They all have thier place, most are good enough to not warrant removing them from a list of possibles for anyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom