Who uses or collects Straight Razors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a whole bunch of them and not one is younger than 90....most are before turn of the century....I have yet to grow the balls enough to put one on my face yet. I want to but I just cant yet....

I am wondering who uses them round here....

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife got one while in beauty school, I use it OCCASIONALLY, it shaves VERY close but it's so weird to use that I'm always scared I'm gonna cut the heck outta my face. I mostly use it to clean up what my gillette fusion misses.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wanted a hot lather straight razor shave because I have heard it's the smoothest shave that exists. But I also know it would have to come from a veteran barber with a steady hand and I haven't run into a barber that fits that description.

As far as the OP's question, I have seen many come and go in my Dad's auctions and at various antiques & collectibles shows but I have never owned one myself.

I can't help but think of Sweeney Todd every-time I see one these days.

ssgt ben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
some of the secrets to a barber shop shave is the hot towel's first. Let the wiskers get good and soft. In barber school we would hot towel, lather, hot towel, lather again then shave our customer. Its a dull razor that cuts you.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been going with the cut throat style for several years now. I recently went to Orlando for a week and packed everything but forgot my blade and i realized how much i love my straight razor and the whole process. I now know i will go cut throat for the rest of my life.

I used to get ingrown hairs and didn't like shaving but all was cured when i started going with the straight razor. All of the good classic blades come from Germany. DOVO and Theirs Issard are top brands. If your blades are in good condition you could get some nice cash with an ebay sell.

I've recently switched to a feather straight razor with a feather blade that you replace and don't have to keep sharpening. Much better. Working the strop and maintaining the blade can be a pain in the ass after a while.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a safety razor, prefer them to these new fangled blades. I am only 29, but still seems weird remembering when 3 blades were revolutionary. I have thought of making the move to a disposable straight razor.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I collect Puma and DoVo, and use a DoVo. Yes the classic old barbers, are almost all gone, even just getting the razor trim around the ears an back of the neck are a thing of the past. There is no better way to shave!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My barber shop (http://www.clubhousebarbershop.net/) gives free hot lather neck shaves with every haircut, and offers full facial shaves as well, both with disposable straight razors. Feels very, very nice during and after.

I've never felt the shave from a true straight razor though, only the disposables since using reusable straights is illegal in Oklahoma (and most states, I believe? Could be wrong on that).

airborne.ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
perfectly legal in Oklahoma. Try a hot lather - steam towel - straight razor shave by Mark Clay at Clay's Barbershop in the Fontana Shopping Center at 51st & Memorial in Tulsa. www.claysbarbershop.com He shaves by appointment only so call him at 918-859-9709 to schedule one. OBTW he is a FFL so you can order a gun or arrange a transfer while you are getting your next shave.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
perfectly legal in Oklahoma. Try a hot lather - steam towel - straight razor shave by Mark Clay at Clay's Barbershop in the Fontana Shopping Center at 51st & Memorial in Tulsa. www.claysbarbershop.com He shaves by appointment only so call him at 918-859-9709 to schedule one. OBTW he is a FFL so you can order a gun or arrange a transfer while you are getting your next shave.

I can testify. Mark is great, I don't get there as often as I should.

Latest posts

Top Bottom