Widespread cellular outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a text from them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_183105_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_183105_Messages.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a text from them

What caused the AT&T outage?​

As it turns out, the reason for the outage could be one of simple human error: bad coding.

"Based on our initial review, we believe that (Thursday's) outage was caused by the application and execution of an incorrect process used as we were expanding our network, not a cyber attack, a spokesperson from AT&T said on the company's website. "We are continuing our assessment of today’s outage to ensure we keep delivering the service that our customers deserve."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-outage-bad-coding-february-2024/72709963007/

Personally, I seriously doubt this was the issue. It's too easy to do offline tests of codes that bring up bugs needing fixed, but this is the story currently.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What caused the AT&T outage?​

As it turns out, the reason for the outage could be one of simple human error: bad coding.

"Based on our initial review, we believe that (Thursday's) outage was caused by the application and execution of an incorrect process used as we were expanding our network, not a cyber attack, a spokesperson from AT&T said on the company's website. "We are continuing our assessment of today’s outage to ensure we keep delivering the service that our customers deserve."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-outage-bad-coding-february-2024/72709963007/

Personally, I seriously doubt this was the issue. It's too easy to do offline tests of codes that bring up bugs needing fixed, but this is the story currently.
As a programmer, I bet it’s the issue.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a programmer, I bet it’s the issue.
Done a bit of that myself for the power plant controls. It was tested so thoroughly that we were confident when putting it on line that the customer wouldn't see a blip in their service.
Maybe it happened that way, but critical infrastructure certainly deserves more scruitiny than just making a simple mistake that takes down half the country.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Done a bit of that myself for the power plant controls. It was tested so thoroughly that we were confident when putting it on line that the customer wouldn't see a blip in their service.
Maybe it happened that way, but critical infrastructure certainly deserves more scruitiny than just making a simple mistake that takes down half the country.

While they may have done a lot of testing offline I would not be surprised one but if there testing environment does not mimic the latest production environment and the release did cause an unreported bug.

Latest posts

Top Bottom