Windows is driving me NUTS. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm throwing in the towel. Tried dozens of fixes, disabling all kinds of things, can't get anything to work, and the problem actually seems to be getting worse. The 3-4 second freezes happening at least once a minute, sometimes 4-5 times a minute, and this morning at work it totally locked up on me twice (though the Caps Lock key would turn on/off) and do absolutely NOTHING. Then, after 3-5 minutes of waiting on it, I held the power button down to do a hard reboot, and it would bring down a half-screen window asking about rebooting, if I swipe up on this to cancel, it restores functionality. Everything works (as before, with occ freezes).

I just can't work this way. This is the 2nd Surface 7 Pro that has done this to me in the last 2 weeks, and I am done with it.

Sad thing is, I have THREE of these sitting at home, waiting to give them to the nurses for our non-profit so they can use them for our new EMR and I'm afraid they're going to have the same problem. Jeebus!

So tonite, after work, on my ONLY night this week I had nothing to do, I am going to drive BACK down to Tulsa to go BACK to Best Buy and return this thing. Problem is, they'll only give me store credit, so I have to get something to replace it from them.

Can't stand Apple, so iPad is out of the question. Have to have a touchscreen (so no Macbook), have to have a keyboard, detachable is ok, doesn't matter.

So it looks like a Chromebook or Pixelbook is probably going to be my best bet. So I'll spend some time playing with those, and see how they do.

<sigh>

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm throwing in the towel. Tried dozens of fixes, disabling all kinds of things, can't get anything to work, and the problem actually seems to be getting worse. The 3-4 second freezes happening at least once a minute, sometimes 4-5 times a minute, and this morning at work it totally locked up on me twice (though the Caps Lock key would turn on/off) and do absolutely NOTHING. Then, after 3-5 minutes of waiting on it, I held the power button down to do a hard reboot, and it would bring down a half-screen window asking about rebooting, if I swipe up on this to cancel, it restores functionality. Everything works (as before, with occ freezes).

I just can't work this way. This is the 2nd Surface 7 Pro that has done this to me in the last 2 weeks, and I am done with it.

Sad thing is, I have THREE of these sitting at home, waiting to give them to the nurses for our non-profit so they can use them for our new EMR and I'm afraid they're going to have the same problem. Jeebus!

So tonite, after work, on my ONLY night this week I had nothing to do, I am going to drive BACK down to Tulsa to go BACK to Best Buy and return this thing. Problem is, they'll only give me store credit, so I have to get something to replace it from them.

Can't stand Apple, so iPad is out of the question. Have to have a touchscreen (so no Macbook), have to have a keyboard, detachable is ok, doesn't matter.

So it looks like a Chromebook or Pixelbook is probably going to be my best bet. So I'll spend some time playing with those, and see how they do.

<sigh>
This is EXACTLY why I run apple stuff. Just don't have to deal with it. I've long had a beef with MS releasing and selling stuff that isn't ready yet. Not exactly a bait and switch, but it's close. And it's just an accepted business model now mostly because of Microsoft. <sigh>

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just don't like Apple and their propietary BS, and their iTunes once corrupted some of my schitt - so I swore off them.

And the only Apple touchscreen item is an iPad, which is overpriced for a tablet, if you ask me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't like Apple and their propietary BS, and their iTunes once corrupted some of my schitt - so I swore off them.

And the only Apple touchscreen item is an iPad, which is overpriced for a tablet, if you ask me.
I got an iPad 2 (2011) that's still trucking. Never serviced, same battery, etc. How many other tablets would I have been through by now? So in the end was it really that expensive? Now I'll grant you that it's so damn slow it's painful because it's so old it won't even update anymore because it won't run the new iOs, but it's still working like a champ.

And they are dumping iTunes. Finally! They finally figured out that it's such a fat turd that they don't even want to fix it. They just started over with Apple music. lol

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I'll grant you that it's so damn slow it's painful because it's so old it won't even update anymore because it won't run the new iOs, but it's still working like a champ.
It is a heck of a lot easier to only make software for a handful of devices that you have under lock and key. When you control everything your users can put on their devices. Apple treats its users like the government treats people. They know whats best for you.

When you only support a couple generations of hardware that you manufacture it does 2 things. It makes updates much easier for the manufacture along with forcing people to update to newer hardware sooner. Still even with the draconian controls apple has on their hardware and app store. It seems 1 out of 3 updates causing major issues to their customers where they have to do another patch within a week or two.

Don't forget about Apple also slowing down phones on purpose.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a heck of a lot easier to only make software for a handful of devices that you have under lock and key. When you control everything your users can put on their devices. Apple treats its users like the government treats people. They know whats best for you.

When you only support a couple generations of hardware that you manufacture it does 2 things. It makes updates much easier for the manufacture along with forcing people to update to newer hardware sooner. Still even with the draconian controls apple has on their hardware and app store. It seems 1 out of 3 updates causing major issues to their customers where they have to do another patch within a week or two.

Don't forget about Apple also slowing down phones on purpose.

Dude...I'm running an iMac that is mid-2011 and an iPad that 2011. Still rolling along just fine on both. That's not really what I'd call being forced to update hardware. ETA: I'm also running Win10 with Parallels so I still have the horsepower I need.

I'm also running High Sierra. I went from Lion all the way to just before Sierra by upgrading each time. Sierra was a fresh install because I decided to go to a SSD drive. Try doing that many consecutive upgrades with Widows. Go ahead, I dare ya! OBTW, not one of them cost me a penny...

Latest posts

Top Bottom