Wonder how old this is

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_20240126_131035953.jpg
IMG_20240126_131050160.jpg

I found this while doing my "spring cleaning" this week. No oil in it. I'm now wondering how old it is and if it's worth keeping.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick search indicated the top (spout?) is lead. So 1. it's old and 2. be careful with that.

Further searching indicates 1940's but I have not found anything to actually confirm that.

Last edited:

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copied this from a random website, might be worth holding onto.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/general-discussions-questions/winchester-gun-oil-can/
Interesting part I thought;

That is a General Utility Oil Can which likely why it has the paper label, and is not the typical Green or Red painted can you see out there.

It was likely produced between 1931 & 1935, due to the label stating division of Western Cartridge Company and it not also stating Winchester-Western.

Winchester Repeating Arms Company went into receivership in 1931, and was bought at bankruptcy auction by the Olin family’s Western Cartridge Company on December 22 of that year. Oliver Winchester’s firm would maintain a nominal existence until 1935, when Western Cartridge merged with its subsidiary to form Winchester-Western Company; in 1944 the firearms and ammunition operations would be reorganized as the Winchester-Western Division of Olin Industries.

Wish I could tell you more, but I’m still currently researching these types of accessories along with the Reloading Tools.

I’ve always found it interesting that the Green Paint Labeled Oil Cans always go for such money, when the glass oil bottles are older.

Sincerely,

Maverick

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick search indicated the top (spout?) is lead. So 1. it's old and 2. be careful with that.

Further searching indicates 1940's but I have not found anything to actually confirm that.
So don’t put it in your mouth…
Kind of like those boom sticks that push lead out the end when I pull the boom switch with my booger hook. ;)

That can of oil is just freaking cool.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember Papa having a can like that. He only used it on his Winchester M62 .22 rifle. He would tell me, "that can is older than your Mom (born in 1936)."

I would think a Winchester collector would be interested.

Seeing how it is 90 years old, would the label be fraud? Did they sell cans of "OLD Gun Oil"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom