Working From Home Versus On Site

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think many people realized they could actually do their job from home during lockdown, despite what companies might have told them previously. I'm sure it didn't work well for the people who need to 'show' that they are managing their employees, though. Hard to micromanage from afar.

That said, it probably isn't for everyone. I've been doing it for almost 15 years and you have to figure out how to avoid distractions and manage your time. But, my job also gives me the ability to do things like pick my kid up from school and go to the park each day. The trade off is that some nights i have to get back to work after he goes to bed. So long as the work is done, and deadlines are met, my boss doesn't mind. But not all bosses can handle that kind of approach.

I'm in fact 'working' and posting at the same time right now. There isn't a whole lot my system can do while i'm transferring 180+ gb of data to backup drives, but i have to do it in order to make room for the next job. Not every second of every minute that i'm being paid needs to be entirely focused on work (at least to me). I actually think that these mental breaks help since i'm more focused when i am able to get back to work, but maybe that is just me.

Oddly, when my wife started teaching from home during lockdown, she finally understood why she used to come home and none of the housework had been done. She thought that being home meant that i'd have time to empty the dishwasher or other things like that during the day. She came to learn that, though still being inside the house, working from home often really did mean pushing aside the daily household chores to stay focused on the job.
Good take

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get more done at home. I have better equipment and a more ergonomic setup. I have a workspace dedicated and the family knows to leave me alone when the door is shut. I have less interruptions.

I also worked from home, when not on the customers site, from 2014-2021. Really depends on the job and your home setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom