Working From Home Versus On Site

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a long time i structured my work day to allow for bike rides in the morning, when it was cooler. It meant more late nights working. But riding at night wasn't an option so it really made it easier to do both.

It's also nice that i am working the moment my son is out the door to school at 7:10. I can work for an hour, go walk the dogs, work through lunch, knock off to get him from school at 2:20, etc.

But the days he is home are tougher. Especially when he convinces my wife that he is sick. Then misses having people to play with. He just sees my typing and asks why i can't play with him and i have to explain that this is me working and it's what i have to do during the day while he is at school.

It does allow the family more vacation flexibility, though. I put in some time last weekend while we were at orange beach and i'll put in some time next week when we go to new england. We also get to spend a couple of weeks at my in-laws in the blue ridge mountains in july because i can work from my laptop. But i still have to pull myself away from hiking and fishing and things to actually do the work. It's a balance
We had people who were supposed to be working and ended up being away from home, but they never put in leave requests so they ended up causing issues for others. Our telework agreements state we're supposed be working from our home and it doesn't necessarily cover it at another location.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
We had people who were supposed to be working and ended up being away from home, but they never put in leave requests so they ended up causing issues for others. Our telework agreements state we're supposed be working from our home and it doesn't necessarily cover it at another location.
So you couldn't say that "Lacy Ladies" identifies as a home for wayward boys and girls?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, i know that some require time frames and location specific things. I don't know if that is just another form of control and not trusting your employees or what.

The two jobs i've done remotely both had good bosses who didn't care if i was at my house or at my in laws or whatever. So long as the work got done and on time.

I'm sure some is because of bad experiences, but it always amazes me when a boss goes to the effort to hire someone that they can't trust to get the work done.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely love working from home. Been WFM full time since corona. It is actually better now with everyone working from home. It leveled the field, everyone has random doorbells, dogs barking, etc, PLUS connecting to a call everyone is working from home. No one is in a conference room 10 feet away from the speaker thinking they are being heard.

Started working from home in some aspect of the job in 1999. Originally had teams of people offshore which required late night/early morning calls. Since 2010 have worked from home every Friday, then occasionally would support clients full-time remotely. WFH is less expensive for the client, not paying travel costs, and the consultants are available at 8am, not when their flight lands at noon.

I am much more productive. More focused time to work, plus being able to work during conference calls. When we had to actually sit in the conference room it was difficult to get any work done while trying to pretend to pay attention. ;)

Yes, the random spouse, adult child will stop in my office to chat, but the time and frequency of those distraction is significantly smaller than working in the office.

My home office is better equipped than the office or client site. Multiple monitors at the correct height, ergonomic chair, keyboard, etc.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll say one thing for working from home, my car is a tad over a year old and has 2500 miles on it. I get looked at funny when I come in every 9 months to a year for a synthetic oil change.
My 2017 has less than 47,000 on it thanks to no longer commuting. It's definitely a nice perk.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My job, company and industry is not suited to work from home not would it be feasable to work 4-10s. My particular position could do one day a week from home but still must be there to make sure chit gets done efficiently and in a safe manner.

My wife works from home 3 weeks a month and travels to Socal for 4 days each month to interface with her clients, capital partners, etc. Wifey is very good about being productive from home and her boss, owner of the company, is very good to her. She has a lot of freedom and makes very good money all while living out in the sticks of Bristow, America. Not sure I'd be cut out for working from home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom