Would you have said anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Damn you fellas are grouchy today. I'd have been like--

"damn son- you made my day! I never see kids playing outside anymore. Can I buy you a drink?"

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe he wants you to be like his "big brother" and provide him guidance. I'd of had to respond with the appropriate degree of force.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I was filling up at our neighborhood filling station. Some kid about 16 was tearing up (so to speak) the parking lot on a skateboard. Mine was the only car at the pumps and he kept staring at me.

I had parked close enough to the pump that there was enough room for me to stand while pumping the gas, but not much more room.

After the tank was full, I replaced the pump nozzle, etc, and proceeded to wash the windshield.

At that point the skateboarder starts skateboarding off and on the island I was using, coming really close to my car. It was weird because mine was the only car there, so there were plenty of "islands" for him to do his thing. I didn't say anything because I couldn't believe anybody could be so obtuse.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'6" tall and weigh 240 pounds. He was just a skinny kid. So I don't think it was an invitation to fight.

Would you have said anything?

Also, had he scratched my car, is there any recourse? Or has our culture simply degenerated into accepting this behavior?

I don't see the problem. Why would you feel compelled to say anything other than hi?

I guess I don't quite understand the problem.

What would you have said and why?

Maybe you missed the part in the original post that is now in bold. There were other islands where the kid could have done the skating, so why should he be allowed to ONLY do it at one with a car there, taking the chance of either sending his skateboard into the side of the car or getting his own head slammed into a mirror or something.

To my way of thinking, the kid was being disrespectful, rude, and dangerous. Suppose someone else had been in the car and decided to open a door as the kid came by. Would that have changed your thoughts of why the kid shouldn't be doing what he was doing?

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I would have said would have depended on how much sleep I had and or lack of it. If he would have scratched my car and ran into it I would have taken his board and jump in the middle of it breaking it in half.

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 80s and 90s, yeah, but not as much today. Cities have put up free skate parks for pete's sake. When I was kid, the closest skate park was OKC and you had to pay to get in.

Think of it, in biker terms, as the 1%'s... The culture is vastly different than the hobby

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have asked/told him to do his boarding someplace else. YES you should have said something. I "say things" to people all the time, mostly I'm tactful, sometimes not so much. Theres more and more people, adults and kids, that have devolved into inconsiderate, self centered morons and I don't mind doing my small part in pointing it out.

For instance, I still can't believe how many morons are out at Lake Hefner walking theirs dogs without leashes. ( Theres a leash ordinance) Like they don't realize how dangerous that is for cyclists AND their dogs... I mean oblivious or what?!?!?
If you are one of those idiots, well you're an idiot. I usually tell them off and if i see them again on another lap, I just phone the lake patrol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom