What would you do in my shoes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would lean toward Tinker. You might want to consider how changing jobs at this point may affect your home purchase.

Honestly, in my simple young mind, I see it as a good thing as I will be making more money, and won't be losing anything in the terms of benefits. If anything I'll be gaining things. With my finances right now I can buy a house, but if something goes wrong, I'm screwed. That won't work. Working on base will give me breathing room and a little more financial security. However, being the new guy again and the unknowns with that are never fun to me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, in my simple young mind, I see it as a good thing as I will be making more money, and won't be losing anything in the terms of benefits. If anything I'll be gaining things. With my finances right now I can buy a house, but if something goes wrong, I'm screwed. That won't work. Working on base will give me breathing room and a little more financial security. However, being the new guy again and the unknowns with that are never fun to me.

Been in your boots. I was old school. You go to work for a company, give it everything you have and they will take care of you forever. It used to be that way.
Always said that if the company closed down, I'd be the one to turn out the lights, and lock the door behind me.
I finally realized that there were opportunities out there that could improve my financial status which in turn improved the life of my family. From living check to check, and buying extra's with mountains of overtime, we went to a nicer home, nicer vehicles, and so on.
It allowed us to live debt free, and enjoy life. That should be your goal in my opinion.
Its your life, and your decision, but thought I'd throw in my opinion. Good luck!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been in a job for 35 years that I've never been happy with. I stayed because of the pay. If I had it to do over, I think I would do something I liked.
I definitely see what you are saying. One of the perks in my eyes about tinker is I have almost unlimited opportunity for advancement and can more around to different jobs, should I decide I want to do something else. And the beauty of it is that whatever I do within the fed will all count towards my retirement. Also, thanks to the Marine Corps, I already have 4 years towards my federal retirement.

Tinker, apply now, don't wait as you will most likely hit 1 year mark at Deere before you get hired on base.

Noted, I'm already starting the application.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not knowing how old you are, there are few opportunities for retirement int he private sector. I am older and have retired a couple of times from federal jobs and I know one must think of the future. I feel sorry for the young people today because there is no future for them, they work for a company until they are worn out and then the company discards them for a younger pup. You may enjoy John Deere but stack your present benefits up against a federal job-annual leave, sick leave, 401K, retirement, common bond with co-workers, good pay, job advancement, and if something happens to you, they have a medical disability program that rivals no other. Plus you can retire at age 55 with 20 years of federal service. The choice is yours and choose wisely, you only have one life to live and you might as well be comfortable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom