Wife doesn't take home protection seriously... please help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Layoff on teaching her field stripping and cleaning because that could make it seem like a chore and too much to deal with.

I'm fortunate that mrs beast understands the importance of being able to operate firearms. She can field strip, clean, load, shoot and everything else for all the handguns and shotguns but she doesn't like to do the range outings so much, however she is a good shot.

I got my lady involved by taking advantage of some of the things she had been wanting me to do with her for quite some time. If she wanted to go to see a chick flick or walk around the botanical garden I would say sure but then she has to do the same for me. She agreed and naturally my "thing" was always the range. I never let her know my intent nor did I ever display how anxious I was to teach her how to shoot, it just let the situation develop naturally and slowly and it worked. Some months we made it to the range twice and other times we maybe skipped a month. During the range outings I would tenderly (for lack of a better term) show her techniques and proper handling and she picked it up in the end. I guess you can say I gave her a training course without her really knowing it but that took the stress off the situation.

Like ProBusuness said, it is important to keep them in their comfort zone.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took two years for my wife to go to the range with me. Even longer to take the SDA class. And two years after that to finish her paperwork and drive out to El Reno to turn it in

Somewhere that time she went from, "lock that thing up." to "what gun is out" when I leave the house.

I'm no longer allowed too leave the house unarmed with the family. Not that I would otherwise.

Everyone is different. The fastest way to get over that Hump it to have something happen that strikes close to home. Unfortunately that isn't the best way.

OkieDokie1982

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Layoff on teaching her field stripping and cleaning because that could make it seem like a chore and too much to deal with.

I'm fortunate that mrs beast understands the importance of being able to operate firearms. She can field strip, clean, load, shoot and everything else for all the handguns and shotguns but she doesn't like to do the range outings so much, however she is a good shot.

I got my lady involved by taking advantage of some of the things she had been wanting me to do with her for quite some time. If she wanted to go to see a chick flick or walk around the botanical garden I would say sure but then she has to do the same for me. She agreed and naturally my "thing" was always the range. I never let her know my intent nor did I ever display how anxious I was to teach her how to shoot, it just let the situation develop naturally and slowly and it worked. Some months we made it to the range twice and other times we maybe skipped a month. During the range outings I would tenderly (for lack of a better term) show her techniques and proper handling and she picked it up in the end. I guess you can say I gave her a training course without her really knowing it but that took the stress off the situation.

Like ProBusuness said, it is important to keep them in their comfort zone.

thanks beast that is a great idea.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't freak her out and all that.

Just take her to the gun range and teach her how to use a certain weapon.
Then, keep that weapon in a certain spot that she knows.
She will know what to do when/if she needs to.
Instinct of a mom to protect her kids will kick in.

This.

And clean the guns yourself. I'm a Glock Armorer. I can take any gun apart and put it back together again, given enough time and it will fire, but I don't think I've cleaned a gun since GC taught me how to do so how ever many years ago that was now ...

If GC ever dies on me I'm gonna have to hire someone to clean the guns ... I LOVE to shoot ... But I am not cleaning those guns ... A girl's gotta have limits, ya know!

And I'm just gonna say if GC had pulled some of the stunts you guys are posting here he'd have died a slow and painful death at my hands. And I'd not know a damn thing about guns or shooting to this day. I'm disappointed in you guys ...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TwoforFlinching- do me a favor and never respond to any of my threads.
I'm sure you were trying to be funny, but you went over the line.

No offense dude, but if you're that high-strung about a non-serious response on the internet (on a place specifically known for smart-assedness), then you might be pushing your wife away from shooting. Patience is the key. Think about it like she's teaching you about one of her hobbies that you just absolutely find useless (not that she thinks self-defense is useless, but its really hard to convey to someone that their homestead / shelter is an unsafe place and most women don't even begin to want to think like that).

Start with the basics and make the most of your time (i.e. don't get to the range and take 20 mins to set up targets and have her sitting around bored). I find that when I ask my wife to do something for me, she listens but she only has limited capacity for something she just isn't into - and I respect that (just like I expect her to do the same for me).

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the way i got my wife to pay attention was to make her watch the news. there are so many shootings and robberies and so on that it would take a very close minded person to not see the importance of home protection or protection in general.

duckhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people just don't like guns and that's that. You need to figure out a way to show her how much it really means to you. That's the only way she will take it serious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom