Ham Radio Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to study and get my technician license soon. I will move on to general, but I need to work start somewhere. When I am ready to test where around the city do you recommend testing? Any tips or pointers? My granpa is WB5UBE and I've spent some time with him in his ham shack growing up. Haven't been around it much in several years, but I'd like to use it as a way to have more contact with my grandpa. I met him up at the ham holiday this weekend and I think it would be a great way to spend time talking to him.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I'm getting Gordon West's latest book for the Technician license. Any others you'd recommend over or in addition to it?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my technician class license back in april, still don't have a radio yet. I mainly got it just to have it, lol, but I'll build a set eventually. It was pretty easy, I only missed 1 question, and they offered to let me take the general for free while I was there, but I didn't think I was quite ready, and I don't do things half assed, so I declined. So if you're going for the general eventually, study up and take them both at once and save yourself some money.

I used KB6NU's free study guides:
http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

He has one for technician and one for general. That's all I used, and like I said, I only made 1 careless mistake, lol.

Good luck and have fun!

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exam sessions:

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

http://www.w5yi.org/exam_locations_ama.php?vec_state=OK

The home pages of the sites above have lots of info. Gordon West is a good resource. All info is based on the same question pool for the testing so it just depends on how you learn as to which is best for you.

Do a web search to find the various free practice test sites so you can validate your learning and increase your confidence for when you go in to test.

Good luck --

de N5TWB

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are in Mustang, be sure and check on the ordinances for antennas. I remember that there was a big deal over them. I think that there may have been a lawsuit, but I really did not follow it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm in mustang. I'll keep the antennae thing in mind. Probably do mostly 2m. I can get down to where he lives at lake texoma with that hopefully. He says he talks to the city some with repeaters.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Educate me, please - what's the advantage of a ham radio for keeping in touch with someone in the same state... as opposed to a cell phone?

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several repeaters, but if you travel to the top of Quarts mountain, you would be surprised at how far you can get out with 50 watts, then if you put out lets say 300 watts, everything will sound a lot clearer on their end. FM is line of sight. If the conditions are just right, once in a great while you can talk to Kansas, you will learn about that in your book. Then if you get a hand heald Yagi with a handy talkie with 440 and 2 meter, you can hit the satilite repeaters and talk to New York. Then there is moon bounce..
20 and 40 meters is where it is at, if you want to talk to him almost anytime.

I still have several new mobile antennas, that I sell to people I know. I was going to sell them out of the show room, but I do not have enough room. I do have 2 meter set up in the shop.

Mark
KD5MOD

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Educate me, please - what's the advantage of a ham radio for keeping in touch with someone in the same state... as opposed to a cell phone?

It is a hobbie, many people that are Hams are inventors, they try to see how to improve communication. They are always trying something new. When all the cell towers went down during the May 3rd tornato, guess how alot of emergency communication took place. Storm chaisers on the most part will use ham radio when they cannot use cell phones.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a ham operator, but do admire that hobby if you will. Just a note, Reid Mullins on KTOK from 5 to 8 in the AM has been talking about a swap meet in Edmond this weekend I think so you might check ktok.com for a link to it and a visit to the meet might be very educational. They may steer you in a good direction and save you some money. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom