Ham Radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my extra class. I was very active in a local ham club many years ago, but not any more. I also have my FCC radiotelephone license as well so I was mostly interested in working on repeater systems and tinkering with all types of data modes and antenna systems. Haven't done any of that for several years now. The local club repeaters are pretty dead now days. Used to do some storm chasing until I started running into traffic jams from all the other chasers and tornado tourists. I had a lot of fun doing amateur TV. We had a 900mhz. ATV repeater and would have a weekly net. We even did a live broadcast of a disaster simulation at the old Rockwell building at the Tulsa airport. The people in the EOC downtown were able to watch in real time what was happening on the ground. They were blown away.
I was never much of a rag chewer. My main interest was dxing in the 10m, 6m, and 2m bands. That is only good during solar maxim cycles so it has been pretty dead for the last several years. We are headed for another peak in 2024 so I may get active again. When conditions are right you don't need a big fancy antenna system or high wattage to talk to the other side of the world. I would look for a local ham club and just start talking with members and see which way your interests turn.
Was thinking about your comment regarding local repeaters. You’re right, the local repeaters aren’t very active anymore except for nets and events. Many have moved to digital communication. All that is needed is a hand transceiver, hotspot, and internet access. There are several digital repeaters around the state that eliminates the need for a hotspot. The KC-Wide and America Link Rooms are busy with Hams around the world talking.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ham radio.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom