1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On average a waitstaff employee works 4 hour shifts.Your head waitstaff works closer to 6. Most go to school and this schedule makes it easy to take classes and work. The rational that they shouldn't make more than you is ludicrous. I was a waiter for 4 years and made good money for excellent service. had fun with my customers and never brought my feelings to work. From my experience as a waiter I am in the boat that unless you are just a complete a$$ hat you will get 15% minimum. My wife always gets on to me when I tip 25% or more. My response to her is "you don't get it". Commission based pay makes you work harder. Prove me wrong on that.... If service is crappy then they didn't work hard enough to make their commission on the sale. If you can't afford to pay for your meal and tip well, then hit the drive through. I as a customer can not justify the rational that if they have 4 tables and everyone tips $4 then they make $16. Some people sit for longer than an hour, that table may not see another customer all evening. If I am out with buddies(usually same place same waitress) we may be there for 3 hours, but you can be damn sure that she was paid for her time. Most places I frequent I know they staff schedule and will plan my meals according to who I know will take care of me and in turn I take care of them. The smallest tip I'll leave is $5 on a short inexpensive visit, even to-go orders.

Try waiting tables or bar backing before you decide what a person is worth.

A decade ago, when I was in college, I would work 3p - 11p at iHop, sometimes 11p - 7a, and sometimes 3p - 7a - with no breaks usually. On an 8hr shift I would average $200 in tips, on a 16hr shift usually a little over $300. I attributed that to the fact I was usually tired enough to fall over and didn't really care about the customers about 13-14 hours into a double. Regardless, it was decent money, more than a waiter deserved.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone's gotta teach these kids. I needed a refill the whole time I was eating to wash the taste of their crappy burger out of my mouth and after I was done and sat around for 10 minutes the waiter finally stopped flirting and refilled our drinks. I wasn't entering in a class contest, I was there to eat and the brain dead jock that waited my table was there to keep my glass full. He failed and got rewarded for his actions.

You showed him...

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this question has already been answered somewhere in these voluminous posts, sorry.

How often does the waitperson get to keep the tip to themselves? I've gotten the impression that tips are split among the staff.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this question has already been answered somewhere in these voluminous posts, sorry.

How often does the waitperson get to keep the tip to themselves? I've gotten the impression that tips are split among the staff.

Wait people split tips as honestly as they report their income for tax purposes.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

For me it depends. I get 20% off the top usually, but if it's a really busy night and I have to bartend half the night, then I get closer to 40-50% from the actual bartenders.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10%. That's it. As inflation has increased the price of meals that means tips have gone up as well. I see no need to tip more then that. Unless it's a cute waitress with beautiful eyes. I very seldom tip waiters. Those dudes need to man up and get a manly job.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Typically waitstaff will tip share with bus staff and bartenders. Bus staff is paid an hourly wage and tips are just gravy. I typically tipped bartenders based on my liquor sales at the end of the night. If I sold $100 in bar tabs, then I'll tip $20. Bus staff on a busy night would get tipped well by me to make sure my tables are cleaned as soon as the guest leaves so it is seated quickly. I would also so the kitchen a bone to make sure my orders had top priority and cooked right the first time. IF something had to go back for either a mistake I made or the kitchen made it also guaranteed me priority on a remake and avoids the manager having to comp anything.

So lets say in a given night I make an average of 20% in tips on a total sales of $1200 in 4 hours. That's $240 in tips. Say I had $200 in bar tab, that's $40 to the bartender. I may tip another $20 to the bus staff to split($10 each) and the head cook gets $20. So I walk away with $160 or $40/hr. But if you look at the fact that this is the only job I have while going to school that ends up being $20/hr for an 8 hr day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom