1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they don't take a **** on my plate, tips start at 20%. I basically figure 20% as part of the cost of the meal. If the food makes it to my table, they get 20%. We ate at Santa Fe Steakhouse tonight. Both my wife's and my steaks were cooked incorrectly. I took half of mine home and fed it to my Doberman. The waitress got a 22% tip.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been annoyed by the entitlement attitude of many waiters/waitresses. I'll tip for exceptionally good service, but bring me my food and check on me once during my meal, not going to get more then a dollar or two. Just the way it is.

I also dont tip based on percentages...if i order a $15 steak rather than a $6 burger, why should that affect how much of a tip you get? The guy above mentioned tipping in Europe...as someone who has lived in Europe, we were told by many tour guides NOT to tip. Its taken as an insult.

In Europe they get a higher base and benefits. Therefore, food is more expensive and the service also sucks, especially when it comes to any bar or cocktail service.

In terms of serving a steak or a burger..... there's quite a bit of difference if the steak isn't $15, in which you're probably at Sizzler or some other junk chain restaurant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom