17 HMR for hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Turkeys' heads bob around too much for me to hit them with anything except a shotgun. But a .22 mag or .17 hummer would be decent choices for a body shot for the fall rifle season (in certain counties where it's allowed).

To my way of thinking, .22 mag or .22 hornet is about right for a turkey, whereas I'd say .22 hornet is the minimum I'd use for a coyote, and preferably a .223 rem and up, depending upon range.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30+ coyotes and counting with 17HMR. I used to shoot them with .223 but I have no complaints with the 17HMR. My shots are all within 200 yds.

Rkez

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it was just a small varmint/turtle round and carried it for that purpose. I found a small herd of hogs out in one of our fields and the little .17 was all I had. I got three shots off and killed two, ear holed one and neck shot the other. I now have a new respect for the .17 HMR.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot probably 20-30 coyotes with my 204 and that happened twice, could have been the bullet I guess, but it was the damndest thing.

I'll agree to disagree with you here, you can kill anything with anything if you shoot it in the right place, but to try and shoot coyotes at 200 yards with a 17 is very unrealistic in my opinion

Not unrealistic at all, You just gotta go with it, Again this "heavy and slow" versus "fast and small ' is just so debated that nobody will ever win.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot yotes with a 17. Not what I would pick if I was specifically going coyote hunting, but works. some run off, some do the crappie flop. I know I hit 'em, I know they're gonna die eventually, that's all that matters to me.

smTm8q

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot placement matters with anything. If you are good at and like more of a challenge, use a .17 I guess. If you like to be more surefire, get the big fifty. Just depends on you as much as distance, windage, cost, legality, target, it's all just a toss up. Personally, I like the little bugger a lot. But if I was going on some fancy tour somewhere, I might snatch the 06 up right quick. What kind of mood are you in?

Latest posts

Top Bottom