1911 mods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi. Picked up a Springfield GI. Ordered beavertail/jig and bobtail/jig from our good friends over at Ed Brown. Before I tackle these two projects...any tips other than "take your time"? I've watched a few videos, read several dozen posts and websites, and the parts are supposed to come with good instructions. I've got a sturdy drill press, good files, and a healthy desire to not dork up the frame too badly... Wish me luck.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:anyone:But why Bubba? Why oh why? If it's an absolute must to put a beavertail on it, why not get a Wilson Drop in model? You may have to file a bit on the tab that connects to the back of the trigger bar a bit, but at least you aren't gonna bugger up the frame of a perfectly good handgun. Good tools do not a gunsmith make.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you screw up all you have to do is have the tangs welded back up. It also helps to have a thumb safety with an undersized shaft to use while you are fitting up the grip safety.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:anyone:But why Bubba? Why oh why? If it's an absolute must to put a beavertail on it, why not get a Wilson Drop in model? You may have to file a bit on the tab that connects to the back of the trigger bar a bit, but at least you aren't gonna bugger up the frame of a perfectly good handgun. Good tools do not a gunsmith make.

Gotta start somewhere... Maybe someday, people will be buying 1911s with my name on the slide...ok, maybe not...

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta start somewhere... Maybe someday, people will be buying 1911s with my name on the slide...ok, maybe not...

LOL! Just be careful. Seriously though, look at that Wilson Drop In Beavertail; might save you a bit of grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wilson drop in doesn't allow for a higher grip like a good fit beavertail will. Kudos to anyone that will try 1911 mods. Like someone said, if you screw it up, you can have the tangs welded up. Many a 1911 gunsmith can attest to that. lol

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wilson drop in doesn't allow for a higher grip like a good fit beavertail will. Kudos to anyone that will try 1911 mods. Like someone said, if you screw it up, you can have the tangs welded up. Many a 1911 gunsmith can attest to that. lol

Everything's a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom