1911 questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLT 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 1911 that I can customize over time. How do you find out whether or not a particular model is compatible with aftermarket parts such as wilson, baer, brown etc.? For instance, the springfeild GI model. Will it accept these aftermarket upgrades or do I need to step up to the mil-spec version?what's the difference? Any info or model suggestions would be appreciated.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For instance, the springfeild GI model. Will it accept these aftermarket upgrades or do I need to step up to the mil-spec version?what's the difference? Any info or model suggestions would be appreciated.

They are equal in the terms accepting parts or being "customized."

They main difference between the two are a lowered ejection port, better sights, and a beveled magazine well.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 1911 that I can customize over time. How do you find out whether or not a particular model is compatible with aftermarket parts such as wilson, baer, brown etc.? For instance, the springfeild GI model. Will it accept these aftermarket upgrades or do I need to step up to the mil-spec version?what's the difference? Any info or model suggestions would be appreciated.

With a springfield, you are best to use certain grip safeties; an ed brown or sti or cmc grip safety might mean you need to break out the welder in order to properly fit the safety. ($). a S&A .220" grip safety fits the best.

COLT 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I should just try to find a quality frame and build my own. Does anyone know where I could find one locally instead of ordering one?

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I should just try to find a quality frame and build my own. Does anyone know where I could find one locally instead of ordering one?

This is my recommendation. I understand what you are wanting to do. I would start with a Rock Island, Gi or Tactical model. They are reasonably priced and good quality guns. Learn how the 1911 works and then try some modifications. As your knowledge base increases then move to a raw frame and start your build. Also check out the Tech and gunsmithing sections of the M1911 forum. They will be a big help and you can read how others have built and modified their 1911's.

There is nothing more satisfying than building your own. Don't expect to save any money, I haven't managed to do it yet. I seem to spend what I would have paid retail or more so far.

Oh and remember this line; "There is no such thing as a drop in part for the 1911."

Latest posts

Top Bottom