2022 Waterfowl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere I'm sure they will. I think my area had a major shift in migration, they just don't come here anymore for whatever reasons. Got several ponds in several counties and it's been like this for 3 or 4 years now, with each year getting worse. I've been one time this year on opening morning just so I could take the dog. We usually would hunt 30-40 days a season prior on both water and cut grain, and rarely not have a 3-4 man limit, several hundred birds a season.
Strange. Any guess as to what caused the migration shift?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My son and his crew got into some geese yesterday. They’re all getting married and having kids these days. So, it was an all hands on deck. I think they had 10 or so shooters. Ended up with 40.
FB9F966A-4E8D-4880-9A4B-20A7D5730F98.png

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange. Any guess as to what caused the migration shift?
I don’t know if this has to do with what’s going on in Oklahoma, but my youngest son has a buddy with family land in Stuttgart, AR. He said it’s been dead over there for a few years too. I don’t know if it’s true, but he said it’s because of all the grain being planted now in Iowa and Missouri. The birds supposedly aren’t leaving up there like they used to.
Personally, I thought grain had always been grown in Iowa and Missouri. :anyone:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was deer hunting north of Cushing yesterday - lots and lots of shotguns being fired at first light not too far away.

I'm wondering if it was mostly goose hunters, I have seen very few ducks, and of course ponds are very low.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, how did it go?
I’ll put it this way….I’ve killed more quail than ducks this year-and I don’t have any pointing dogs anymore because both of mine died the past two years!

I didn’t see a single duck yesterday evening. I posted up on a spot where they usually roost. I’ve been staying away just to keep from blowing them out of there. Maybe in 7-10 days this arctic front will push us some birds?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We had a spot briefly that held a roost of 60+ wood ducks in some flooded oaks and persimmons. If we snuck in just right in the morning we could take a few as they took off and left. After trying to hunt it in the evening a few times, we never saw them again. Fun while it lasted.
View attachment 330665
1 out of 65ish......so you had at most a 1.5% chance of shooting the banded bird lol. Congrats on the band!

Latest posts

Top Bottom