2022 Waterfowl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless we get some serious rains, duck hunting around my place is going to be nonexistent.
My buddy called mid Aug. and said that were we normally set the decoys is now dry and covered in weeds and that the water is probably 30-35 yards away from the box blind we built and it's way too heavy to move closer to the water.

We're thinking that the water still remaining is pretty deep and even if we get some decoys out and build some sort of makeshift blind closer to the water with no dog or boat we'll have no way to retrieve downed birds unless we do like I used to do when I hunted by myself back in the day and take a rod & reel with a big floating Rapala tied on and cast for them.

Damn Drought !

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy called mid Aug. and said that were we normally set the decoys is now dry and covered in weeds and that the water is probably 30-35 yards away from the box blind we built and it's way too heavy to move closer to the water.

We're thinking that the water still remaining is pretty deep and even if we get some decoys out and build some sort of makeshift blind closer to the water with no dog or boat we'll have no way to retrieve downed birds unless we do like I used to do when I hunted by myself back in the day and take a rod & reel with a big floating Rapala tied on and cast for them.

Damn Drought !
Been there done that having to “reel in” your ducks. It was what encouraged me to get a dog in the early 90’s. I was pretty mad at them back then but not so much anymore. Heck, I ain’t near as mad at anything as I was then. I’m understanding my Dad better every day.

dbradshaw

Marksman
Reaction score
Me and a friend are trying to get into duck hunting this year. We live in the Tulsa area and both have small children so are looking for a place we can return home from in the afternoon. Does anyone have any recommendations on guides in the area or landowners that may be willing to share their ponds?

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could try Gordies, I know he's got quite a few places leased out. I've never used him but have seen his signs around 56th street and mingo area. Or try public land? Look up Wetland Development Units on the ODWC website. Good luck and Welcome to Osa.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said in a previous post in this thread, I look forward to hearing cranes during ML season, and I haven’t heard or seen a single crane since I’ve been here. A guy on the lease south of my place said he heard them during youth weekend.
I did hear some geese this evening.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As I said in a previous post in this thread, I look forward to hearing cranes during ML season, and I haven’t heard or seen a single crane since I’ve been here. A guy on the lease south of my place said he heard them during youth weekend.
I think I saw on the refuge count there's just a few thousand there as of now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah got the goose and crane numbers mixed up.....hardly any there right now.

Screenshot_20221028-061421_Facebook.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone going out for the November 5th Veterans waterfowl Day on public land? I wanna go out, get my pup (and myself) on some wild ducks. But I have zero decoys, and very little experience. Would be happy to supply ammo and lunch in exchange for some education.

Latest posts

Top Bottom