40 vs. 45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv always leaned towards 45acp because i look at it as a military:patriot: caliber so iv always figured there wouldnt be any production or availability issues/problems because of that, same as 9mm being more of a police:police2: round, with that all being "my personal thoughts":shocked: what you guys think about a 40 i dont own one and mainly because of the above, but thats just me...:gun2:

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the military issues M9's now which is 9mm so the military 45 isn't the same as it used to be. As for availability I've never had a problem finding 40 in fact it was easier than 9mm since fewer people had it but still a common round. I like it for price its not much more than 9mm but I think it is a personal preference.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai651.photobucket.com_albums_uu236_enjones_45acpposter.jpg

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv always leaned towards 45acp because i look at it as a military:patriot: caliber so iv always figured there wouldnt be any production or availability issues/problems because of that, same as 9mm being more of a police:police2: round, with that all being "my personal thoughts":shocked: what you guys think about a 40 i dont own one and mainly because of the above, but thats just me...:gun2:

I like both.

The .40 could be called an FBI round. It was developed because 1.) capacity of their current issue, the 1911 was too low and 2.) the percieved effectiveness of the 9mm wasnt enough. This gave birth to the 10mm. Because not everyone could handle the 10mm, the .40s&w was adopted.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 9mm and .45. There is nothing wrong with the .40S&W at all, i just dont want to have to reload another caliber. One thing that i dont care for about the .40 is the snappier recoil. After shooting .45 for so long it just seems really sharp. Its not a big deal, but i presonally find it annoying.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was shooting and reloading 9s and 45s before the 40 came out. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't want or need another centerfire auto round.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.40 is more widely available right now than .45 so I bought a 1911 in .40 or two. :D

Either will stop an attacker just the same.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carried a .357 on duty for years, some of you guys have heard me whine about it before, but in '07 I was issued a pair of .40 Glocks. while I have no problem w/ the .40 it can't hold a light to the .45. You have to realize that w/ the .45, whether the bullet spreads on impact or not it's damn near a half inch going in(and coming out). The .45 has been around for over 100 yrs and is still the most popular defense round. That alone should count for something. Not many other rounds can hold the same record.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carried a .357 on duty for years, some of you guys have heard me whine about it before, but in '07 I was issued a pair of .40 Glocks. while I have no problem w/ the .40 it can't hold a light to the .45. You have to realize that w/ the .45, whether the bullet spreads on impact or not it's damn near a half inch going in(and coming out). The .45 has been around for over 100 yrs and is still the most popular defense round. That alone should count for something. Not many other rounds can hold the same record.

Just a few points here. I believe the .40 is now the most popular defense round due to LE agencies and modern day .40 ammo performs nearly identical to .45 in penetration and expansion tests.

Latest posts

Top Bottom