40 vs. 45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All auto handgun calibers produce fairly similar results. Go with whichever floats your boat. The only one shot stop is a CNS shot. People don't fly backwards from a .45. You won't cut through an engine block with a .40. I think the forty provides slightly better barrier penetration characteristics, but for civilian carry use, the differences between these two are negligible.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 40 S&W is the equivalent of the old 38-40 round, and no one said that didn't work. Many a bad guy and good guy expired with a 38-40 hit so I guess it,s good to go. I still prefer the 45 as it has a great track record but 40 ain't too shabby! KurtM

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the military issues M9's now which is 9mm so the military 45 isn't the same as it used to be. As for availability I've never had a problem finding 40 in fact it was easier than 9mm since fewer people had it but still a common round. I like it for price its not much more than 9mm but I think it is a personal preference.

Thats true, the Army still runs the M-9 Berreta 9mm, however I read recently that Kimber had won the Marine Corps contract to produce their sidearms. So .45 ACP is back in the mix.

However it should be noted that the Military is prohibited from running hollow points (Geneva Convention), so if the choice is between 9mm ball and .45 ball, then .45 wins every time. Running .40 hollowpoints vs .45 hollowpoints is another story...

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kimber won a contract? Who was contracted before? I know the M9 is the standard issue, but not every group in the military carries it. I've always heard certain elite groups have always carried a .45

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All auto handgun calibers produce fairly similar results. Go with whichever floats your boat. The only one shot stop is a CNS shot. People don't fly backwards from a .45. You won't cut through an engine block with a .40...

Pretty much sums it up and all of those results are lackluster in comparison to a rifle.

My personal choice is .45acp single stack in a 1911 with 2 spare mags for regular carry usage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom