40 vs. 45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best bet is to shoot each of them and see what YOU prefer. I have a Beretta 96 and a couple 1911's (you can't have just one :yelclap:), and like them both for different reasons. You get higher capacity with the 40 over the 45 in most rigs, but you get a snappier recoil. With the 45, you get a big d*mn hole in the bad guy, but a few less rounds in the "on-deck circle".

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a fan of the .40 S&W since it was first introduced and bought an EAA Witness in that caliber in the late 1980's. I heard many people say it had "snappy" recoil and I had no idea what they were talking about, and thought my Witness had very manageble recoil and was easy to fire "fast". Then one day I shot a friends Walther P99 .40 and the muzzle was pointing at the sky after every shot! A lot of .40 S&W guns were originally designed as 9m/m guns and were not re-engineered properly to handle the extra power of the bigger round. I don't know if there is anything "snappy" about the .40 cartrige but it will have a little kick in most of the lightweight plastic guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom