A cop question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new law says at the "first opportunity".

That leaves a lot of open opportunity depending on when you come in contact with LEO.

According to how they teach new LEOs, your first opportunity ends when the officer takes your license and insurance. If you don't identify by that time as carrying and licensed, they are supposed to confiscate your permit.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't notify or present my CCL because I wasn't carrying at the time, but after handing me my drivers license back, the officer asked me if I had anything else to tell him. Didn't really think about what he said until later. I suspect it had to do with the CCL.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to how they teach new LEOs, your first opportunity ends when the officer takes your license and insurance. If you don't identify by that time as carrying and licensed, they are supposed to confiscate your permit.

Hmmm.... I don't remember that the law gave them the right to confiscate your permit? I'll have to go back and look at that. Of course, it's never been an issue, as I usually just hand my permit along with my license.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are only required to notify IF you are carrying. Otherwise, no big deal. I have taken to notifying regardless. Sometimes it gets you a pass. You didn't have to tell, but you did. makes you seem more honest.

Unless you get an LEO that doesn't care for CCL, then you are screwed regardless.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got pulled over for speeding on my motorcycle. The cop asked if I was carrying. I wasn't.

When they run your license and stuff, does it pop up on the computer that you have a CCL?

Yes, it does show up when your driver license is run. Just confirms you have an SDA license.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't notify or present my CCL because I wasn't carrying at the time, but after handing me my drivers license back, the officer asked me if I had anything else to tell him. Didn't really think about what he said until later. I suspect it had to do with the CCL.

Similar situation during the workday, OHP trooper asked why I didn't notify so I told him I worked at a technology center so no firearms even in the car under the law at that time. He nodded and noted the then-upcoming law change while seeming to be fully endorsing the change. He cut me a break with only a warning, too. It was good all the way around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom