A fix to Oklahoma CCW law, instead of an open carry law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The words "shall not be a criminal act" in regards to CC holders would be the best affirmation of CC rights we could get. I would much rather support adding this rider to the Oklahoma SDA than just an open carry bill alone.

im not sure i understand how this is going to help "brandishing" problems?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im not sure i understand how this is going to help "brandishing" problems?

I think he's referring to the idea that elimination of accidental exposures as potentially criminal would be a good start.

The wording is solid if it is used in reference to the OP's intent.

Michael Brown

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Missouri's approach to CC would be a better reform than OC. In Missouri's carry law they list 17 places that carry is prohibited, like churches, govt. offices, school, professional sporting events, etc. and then it states this paragraph.

Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years.

The words "shall not be a criminal act" in regards to CC holders would be the best affirmation of CC rights we could get. I would much rather support adding this rider to the Oklahoma SDA than just an open carry bill alone.

Missouri does not have strong states pre-emption either, unlike OK, municipalties may add additional strictures to carry in within their political boundries. I would shy away from the missouri model for now.

Oklahoma has a good ccw statute and strong state pre-emption, if you want open carry let's work on the baby step that we got screwed over on which is amending open carry to the statutes for CCW holders.

Tibbs is up for reelection this year in my district, I am of 2 minds about voting for her, I don't know if she moved open carry out of the public safety committee since it was an election year or if she did it because it was the right thing to do.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Missouri does not have strong states pre-emption either, unlike OK, municipalties may add additional strictures to carry in within their political boundries. I would shy away from the missouri model for now.

Oklahoma has a good ccw statute and strong state pre-emption, if you want open carry let's work on the baby step that we got screwed over on which is amending open carry to the statutes for CCW holders.

Tibbs is up for reelection this year in my district, I am of 2 minds about voting for her, I don't know if she moved open carry out of the public safety committee since it was an election year or if she did it because it was the right thing to do.

My guess (totally speculative) is that she moved it out knowing it would be vetoed. And many people voted for it knowing it would be vetoed.

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, your suggestion would be a good start, or a step in the right direction, but unlike you I would not be "content" with such an amendment of the CC law.

I won't be content on the subject until we have absolutely no laws regarding the carry of weapons, like Vermont. Open carry, concealed carry, doesn't matter, and you should never be required to get anybody's permission to do any of it or be required to tell anybody that you are carrying when stopped.

Of course, because of the anti-liberty donut munchers lobby, we will probably have to do it piecemeal, even though Oklahoma is supposed to be a bigtime pro-gun state.

Until then, we have to make the call between civil disobedience or tolerance of an infringement on our liberty.
Thats more like it.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people here already have their fix... they just break the law.

:anyone:

on there own property too...while some think its any of there business to stick there nose in others business...you got to be one of the few people iv met in years and years and years, that knows everything about nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom