A fix to Oklahoma CCW law, instead of an open carry law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
TallPrairie,I applaud you for your well reasoned and thought out Idea but,you are advocating taking power away from Law Enforcement,and their unions are NEVER gonna stand for that.:nono1:

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Finally!!!!

I get to use one of these:

:popcorn:

Michael Brown

Heh. A change of pace, maybe. But your thoughts on the topic would also be welcome.

He doesn't care for open carry,I respect his opinion but don't agree.It would,however,be a rare occasion that I would open carry.I would like the "protection" of it in case my full size pistol would poke its barrel out from under my cover garment at an inopportune time.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He doesn't care for open carry,I respect his opinion but don't agree.It would,however,be a rare occasion that I would open carry.I would like the "protection" of it in case my full size pistol would poke its barrel out from under my cover garment at an inopportune time.

I would not ever open carry except on my property. I would also like the protection OC would offer.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see OC. Probably would only open carry on my property...doubt I would anywhere else. I also like the protection of knowing I won't be "cuffed and stuffed" for an accidental flash of my handgun.

If and when OC does pass, maybe we can all meet someplace (like IHOP) and OC while we eat. I think that would be fun!!!!

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not ever open carry except on my property. I would also like the protection OC would offer.

I'd like to see OC. Probably would only open carry on my property...doubt I would anywhere else. I also like the protection of knowing I won't be "cuffed and stuffed" for an accidental flash of my handgun.

If and when OC does pass, maybe we can all meet someplace (like IHOP) and OC while we eat. I think that would be fun!!!!

I dont think I compltely understand what is being discussed about, only OC on your own property?, as far as I know you can OC on your property, Hell I am doing it right now, but of course I do have 120 acres and I am not restricted by ANY city statutes, I am not sure how it is if you live in edmond, and walk down your driveway with your Glock on your hip.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dont think I compltely understand what is being discussed about, only OC on your own property?, as far as I know you can OC on your property, Hell I am doing it right now, but of course I do have 120 acres and I am not restricted by ANY city statutes, I am not sure how it is if you live in edmond, and walk down your driveway with your Glock on your hip.

My vote is you're going to jail.:police2:

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I completely understand what is being discussed about, only OC on your own property?, as far as I know you can OC on your property, Hell I am doing it right now, but of course I do have 120 acres and I am not restricted by ANY city statutes, I am not sure how it is if you live in edmond, and walk down your driveway with your Glock on your hip.

We're talking about complete OC anywhere. I would most likely only OC on my own property (I live in a Moore, around other houses). Personally, I probably won't OC out at Wallyworld...or most places where I walk closely with others. I like the stealthiness of CC. With that said...even though I probably wont OC a lot, I want the freedom of OC if and when I choose.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

/sigh

We go over this at least once a month...

The law has not changed to the contrary of those cases, though.

Here's the OSCN link to Pierce v. State (1929) http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=38162

They address what was then Section 1992, C.O.S. 1921, which stated "It shall be unlawful for any person in the state of Oklahoma to carry upon or about his person any pistol, revolver, bowie-knife, dirk-knife, loaded cane, billy, metal knuckles, or any other offensive or defensive weapon, except as in this article provided..."

The wording here is very similar to 21 O.S. § 1272. It is similar enough to show that the former is the origin of the latter prior to the reorganization of Oklahoma laws. Byford v. State (1949) makes this clear in that it specifically addresses 21 O.S. § 1272 and refers to Pierce as construing a conclusive interpretation of the statute. Gilio v. State (2001) further held that Pierce applied to firearms outside the confines of the home.

So in fact, there is caselaw as recent as 2001 that addresses the validity of the Pierce ruling in light of modern laws, including the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

+ 1 for oc, it's a constitutional right that has been infringed on in the first place

According to the Supreme Court in Heller (and affirmed and as incorporated against the several states in McDonald), it is not a violation of the Second Amendment until ruled otherwise by the Supreme Court.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:clap3: :clap3:

34 other states allow open carry. It does not cause problems or create havoc.

Why are you so quick to compromise? Compromise is what got us in this mess to begin with...

How 'bout restoring the 2nd Amendment which confers our R2KBArms? Stop compromising, and stop deciding for me how I should carry my tool to protect me and my family.

I am not one to normally go the +1 route but this time I will.

DD gets it. The 2nd isn't about how you bear arms but rather the bearing of arms.

Want'a carry concealed - your right.
Want'a carry open - your right.

We don't need to agree on the how. We do need to agree on the right or the anti's will always win simply by pointing out that the gun guys can't even agree on the right let alone the how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom