About time for a new camera. What do you like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a D 3200 that's still smarter than I am. Planning to take a short course locally. Quality of pictures is great, and the automatic settings are my friend. It's my first digital SLR, though I did it commercially with film for a long time.

cencrunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handle both. Find the one that feels the best to you and buy it. You really can't go wrong with either brand in a DSLR. If you have specific needs such as sports or low light photography then do more research. Digital Photography Review seems to be a good place to do that. For just general all around shooting, can't make a bad choice.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on Nikon, but I use Canons now. Once you get into a lens system, you are in it for the long haul. I like Canon's operating controls much better than Nikon, and several of Canon's lower tier bodies come out with feature deletes, meaning that after a few months, the hackers create firmware that unlocks the potential of the camera to operate the features like the step or two above it. I have done that a couple of times on my older bodies. I have had 4 Canon bodies, only the oldest is actually dead. I put hundreds of thousands of shutter actuations on my cam and use them in the worst conditions. I like Canon, but it's hard to go wrong with either. Just get good glass, that is the key to any camera.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 40001View attachment 40002

Here's a state of the art point and shoot. It a Sony RM100II and I was surprised that real pro's know about this camera. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and fits right into your front pocket or cargo pants pocket. Here's some night shots no DSLR going to be able to produce without being on a tripod. That's the catch with me I'm on the move and won't be sitting around waiting for that great shot.

These were taken with the "twilight hand held" mode which for day they have one called anti-blur mode. It takes 6 shots and combines them the best it can within the image processor. I actually took this down to highway 75 and it can take the 6 shots and combine them going at expressway speeds. This is 4 AM to 4:30 AM in Downtown Tulsa with no lighting except what was on the street.

Really as shown above any of these cameras on a tripod going to make great images if that's your style of shooting photo's. If you want the Cannon 3ti I know where a good one with 3 lens package can be had for the cost of the lens. I purchased the Nikon 3200 for my daughter in law she didn't like the auto focus on the Nikon. It can go crazy, me I'd rather turn it off a lot of times because I want to define whats in focus not the camera. The 3200 refurb from nikon with a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens can be had with a one year warranty for under $500 currently. The new model is the 3300. She was going after the Canon D70 but found that the Pentax k50 was a better rated camera and had a bunch of high end features that compared to the Nikon 7000 pro series and blew away all the cannons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom