AM radio back in the day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When a kid, we had these little transistor radio's that only required clipping on to the metal part of a lamp. WLS in Chicago and KOMA were the only two stations that those radio's would pick up.
Yep, I used to put one under my pillow so I could listen to the radio without my parents knowing.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WKY radio 930 AM i think it was. danny williams KNID was another i remember when the tv programming didn't last all day and went off air at 10 oclock i think.
WKY was the first radio west of the Mississippi river and had a W as the first letter. after that all radio stations west of Mississippi started with a K.
WKY was forced to change to K starting letter in the ???
Also Koma at a fixed time at night could turn up the wattage.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Radio signals are very odd. Especially AM the way it can bounce off the ionosphere. I grew up in Denver, and KOA was a clear channel station that ruled the night there (and elsewhere).

Incidentally, I used to run an FM station in Tulsa, which at the time was a small 3K watts, but it was the only tower in Tulsa proper. We received a postcard from a DX'er (a long distance-listener that scans the dial looking for the furthest signal they can pull in) in Maine once who identified what we were playing one night about 11:45pm until we signed-off at midnight. We couldn't cover all of the Metro, be we managed to get to Maine that night. FM is usually a line-of-sight type of signal, but something must have been just right that night. When I wrote him back verifying that the info was correct (they always want a response sent back on letterhead), I neglected to ask what his receiving gear was. Probably wasn't the little transistor radio that I used to sneak into Elementary school to listen to the World Series.

Latest posts

Top Bottom