AM radio back in the day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Troposphere ducting. Broadcast FM is VHF, and it can happen occasionally. Us ham radio operators love it.
The Military back in the 60's and70's used tropospheric scatter to set up long range communications. Satellites took over not long after in the late 90's.
Really high power though. The capacitator banks used caps as big as 55 gallon drums and had to be discharged before working on them. Quite the experience on the discharge crew.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KOMA. I was devastated when Charlie Tuna went to LA.
On harvest I would listen to KRLD. Out of Dallas at night.

When I was working in NM and West Tx I could still get KOMA at night.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember listening to XERF in Del Rio TX on my car radio back in the 50's and 60's.
Wolfman Jack I think and lots of radio preachers. It always came in good here in
Oklahoma at night.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While the US limits AM clear channel stations to 50K watts (and makes sure there are no interfering signals--hence the clear-channel designation), Mexico has a number of 100K watt stations that come in clear.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
WKY radio 930 AM i think it was. danny williams KNID was another i remember when the tv programming didn't last all day and went off air at 10 oclock i think.
WKY with Danny and KOMA with Ronnie Kay. In 1963 I was a first grader and both of these guys were on. Jeebus! Danny died years ago and Ronnie is still on KOMA. I think his real name is Methusula.

Latest posts

Top Bottom