Anyone else had it with AT&T and the iPhone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KF5MFI

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consistently getting dropped calls on my iPhone 4s on AT&t.... The nations "best carrier". Ya right!! Rarely had a dropped call with US Cellular. Thinking about switching to Verizon..... I'm finally out of contract with AT&T.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You use a phone for making calls? ;)

My work phone is an iPhone 4S, and I really haven't had any problems with the AT&T side of things (which pains me to say; I'm not a fan of AT&T). The Apple side, though...I'm pretty sure they can't do an upgrade without breaking or removing some functionality that I use.

KF5MFI

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upgraded to the new iOS. Because my wife and I share the same iTunes acct, and due to me not unchecking a box... I started receiving HER txt messages from HER friends on MY phone!!! Really pissed me off. Apparently due to cloud settings. Apple products are getting a little to personal for my taste. Meanwhile people on welfare get to have FREE cell phones, which I bet NEVER drop a call!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's iMessage. It's OK if you're not sharing an iTunes account (it'll send messages over the Internet, so you could use it on an iPad without a data plan), but it can be a PITA. To turn it off, go to Settings -> Messages and turn off iMessage (it's right there at the top of the screen).

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than all cellphone plans costing more than they should (just look up how text messages are really sent through a cellular network and you'll be red in the face at actually having to pay for the "service") I haven't had any real performance issues with the phone or provider.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It so happens that I'm having problems with AT&T this very month. I hate to give up my land line, because I'm an old man.
I don't know how this situation will resolve itself, but right now, I'm leaning toward AT&T can suck my ass.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been an AT&T customer since it was Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems in 1986 and out of contract for about a decade. I buy used iPhones when the current model is replaced. I recently bought a used 5 month old 4s for $300, including some extra accessories and immediately ordered an iTunes unlock from AT&T, since I like to take it to Yucatan Mexico and install a TelCel Amigo SIM card while I'm there. In Mexico, the coverage isn't as good, but in Merida, Yucatan the performance is excellent.

I often threaten to move to T-Mobile all the time, because AT&T service is so terrible, but somehow never do. There are parts of my house that the signal is unusable and sometimes I need to stand in a certain spot just to have decent reception. Dropped calls are normal. I'm smack-dab in the middle of NW OKC, so it's not like I'm expecting good service in some remote jungle location. Where I want it to work, the service is sucky, at best. The data seems to work ok and I just now clocked between 5mbps and 8mbps download and .55mbps and 1.75mbps upload in 4g. I can't get the 4g LTE light on in my NW OKC home, but when I do, I can routinely see 8mbps download and 2mbps upload.

Being an old man, I never imagined I would accept text messaging, but now I do it all the time. I really like to see contacts with the blue balloon of iMessage. I also use WhatsApp application, which is a web-based text message service that goes across smart phone platforms for more free text messages. With iMessage and What's app, I can send all the texts, pics and documents I want, without eating into my 200 SMS messages per month plan. I also use BeeJiveIM quite a bit.

Most all my friends and family are on AT&T, so can yack on the phone all I want and still build roll-over minutes on a 550 family plan. What keeps me stuck with AT&T is the free M2M and habit.

ki4ppg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had att when i lived in NC was moving here 5 months ago ..called to change my number to a local OK number...was told because i had been out of contract id have to go through another credit check ...at that point i was told i had to have 750 deposit per line after being with them for 8 years...tod them where to get off ..went to verizon and couldnt have made a better choice

Latest posts

Top Bottom