Anyone Have a Traeger Grill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, a 40# bag last many grill sessions. Cooking on high to do burgers or steaks uses more pellets but you only run it a short time. Smoking uses less pellets but you run it for hours at a time so it works out. I smoked a turkey last Thanksgiving for 11 hours and used less than 40# of pellets.

Less than 40#s! Dayumm! I'm really liking my Cookshack now, I can do anything in it with 2 to 6 ounces of wood.

Here's a tip that might save you some money on pellets. Use a digital internal probe while you are cooking. You can get one for about $10 at wallymart. Just run the wire out the door. Once your meat temp hits 140° don't add any more pellets, the meat won't absorb it after this point. The pellet cost is one of the big reasons I didn't get one. I was torn between Traeger and Cookshack.

Dustin, which one did you get?

C

Clay

Less than 40#s! Dayumm! I'm really liking my Cookshack now, I can do anything in it with 2 to 6 ounces of wood.

Here's a tip that might save you some money on pellets. Use a digital internal probe while you are cooking. You can get one for about $10 at wallymart. Just run the wire out the door. Once your meat temp hits 140° don't add any more pellets, the meat won't absorb it after this point. The pellet cost is one of the big reasons I didn't get one. I was torn between Traeger and Cookshack.

Dustin, which one did you get?
The pellets are the heat source. Your not smoking a turkey for 11 hours with 6 oz. of wood without another heat source. I spen $100 on pellets per year and I venture to say I cook on it 50% of the year. 3 times a week usually. You cant do that with charcole or propane.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cost of propane is hard to beat. I cook on gas grill at least 4 times a week during the warm months and I average a tank every 6 months. 14 bucks OTD to have it filled is hard to beat.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pellets are the heat source. Your not smoking a turkey for 11 hours with 6 oz. of wood without another heat source. I spen $100 on pellets per year and I venture to say I cook on it 50% of the year. 3 times a week usually. You cant do that with charcole or propane.

Ooops. My bad. I just went and looked, I was thinking the heating element and convection blower did the heating. I guess that explains why it only has 300 watts vs. mine's 700 watts. :hithead:

Latest posts

Top Bottom