Anyone having trouble with getting their renewal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent in my renewal on January 8, 2013, they ran my credit card on January 11, 2013. My license expired on March 31, with a 30 day grace period, I would be illegal to carry after April 30, 2013. Is it not state law that they have 90 days to do the renewal? I called OSBI Monday, April 22. She said that they had requested info from Tulsa County three times, the last time being April 15, 2013. I called the sheriff's office and was told they did not have anything pending, they had sent everything for everyone back to OKC. I called OSBI back and they said that they had called Tulsa also and that I would have my license in a couple of weeks. Making me unarmed for about six days. Interesting that we have to abide by the laws of the state but the state does not have to do the same. So if I get it in the two weeks she mentioned they will have taken 115 days.

Anyone else having this challenge?

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a similar issue last year before we went on vacation. I called OSBI and was told they had my renewal in process but were very backed up. The lady sent me as email I kept on my phone to show any police officer that might stop me. In essence it said OK was backed up so my license is being processed and for them to call a phone number to verify this. She told me to carry my current expired license until my new one arrived.

That's exactly what I did, thankfully I never had to call them for help though.

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My license came in the mail today. New expiration date is April 24, used to be March 31, so I guess I got a free month. It is almost like they were waiting for me to ask for it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good deal, I know they are taking a lot longer to process due to the mass number of applications.

One way around an expiring license can be to apply for an Arizona one, they have much fewer applications being a constitutional carry state and they do have out of state licenses. The only problem is that a couple states will not accept it as you must be a resident of the state they accept but since Oklahoma does accept them you would be safe and/or have a backup. You can take online classes and they actually may apply the Oklahoma SDA class as credit for their requirements.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good deal, I know they are taking a lot longer to process due to the mass number of applications.

One way around an expiring license can be to apply for an Arizona one, they have much fewer applications being a constitutional carry state and they do have out of state licenses. The only problem is that a couple states will not accept it as you must be a resident of the state they accept but since Oklahoma does accept them you would be safe and/or have a backup. You can take online classes and they actually may apply the Oklahoma SDA class as credit for their requirements.

That's funny. Never thought about it, but sounds like a vaible alternative.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's funny. Never thought about it, but sounds like a vaible alternative.

Yeah, it does the job in a pinch, lol. But they neighbor California so probably make quite a bit off of people there to begin with as a "may issue" state. A few states do not recognize the out of state permits but OK, KS, TX, NM, MO, and AR do recognize the Arizona one so that covers where you may be at some point in time. TX also has an out of state permit but their requirements are more in depth for training.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If you get an Arizona license, can you then apply for an Oklahoma license without having to go through an Oklahoma course? I've been wanting to get my c/c, but the long wait times has me wanting to wait. My buddy waited over 10 months to get his.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get an Arizona license, can you then apply for an Oklahoma license without having to go through an Oklahoma course? I've been wanting to get my c/c, but the long wait times has me wanting to wait. My buddy waited over 10 months to get his.

No, even with another states permit, you still have to take the OK SDA safety training course.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Similar problems here, I sent in my application mid Feb, and it was accepted at OSBI on the 21st. 68 days as of right now. I sent them an email last week at day 63, and received the response that they were still processing my application and had 60-90 days to complete. I responded that they have 60-90 days to approve or deny and have my license or denial letter to me per state law. They haven't responded. A renewal should be easy. Check to make sure there is no pending charges, and approve.

As for the Arizona license, I'm going to look into that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom