Anyone register a pistol brace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" Any registered SBR can be taken off the NFA role by removing the part of the weapon that required it to be registered in the first place then notifying the ATF in writing stating it is no longer in the configuration requiring it to be registered. "

If that is true then what is to prevent someone from notifying the ATF that they reverted or changed their NFA item to a non-NTF item even if they didn't? Do ATF agents physically check EVERYONE that makes that claimed change to make sure it actually happened or is it more of a case of just relying on the NFA gun owners honesty?
Absolutely nothing other than breaking the law. You would then be in possession of an unregistered illegal weapon. What keeps you from making your own SBR and never registering it, or sawing off the barrel of your shotgun? Do it if you feel lucky. Violating any NFA law comes with a pretty steep penalty. I would not want to lie about anything to do with the ATF. Whether they send out someone to verify you did what you say you did, I have no idea. Why don't you call your local BATFE office and ask them if they do.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing other than breaking the law. You would then be in possession of an unregistered illegal weapon. What keeps you from making your own SBR and never registering it, or sawing off the barrel of your shotgun? Do it if you feel lucky. Violating any NFA law comes with a pretty steep penalty. I would not want to lie about anything to do with the ATF. Whether they send out someone to verify you did what you say you did, I have no idea. Why don't you call your local BATFE office and ask them if they do.
I do not have any NFA items and never have. I'm aware that it would be breaking the law and I wasn't asking whether anyone here has done/does this. I was just curious if anyone knew whether the ATF followed up with a personal visit to physically verify that an item had been de-NFA'd, or whether the ATF just relies on a 'good-faith' sort of trust that laws/regulations are being followed?

I'll accept an 'I don't know', an 'I ain't saying', or even a 'I don't care' answer - again, was just curious :anyone:

Last edited:

kickface

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have any NFA items and never have. I'm aware that it would be breaking the law and I wasn't asking whether anyone here has done/does this. I was just curious if anyone knew whether the ATF followed up with a personal visit to physically verify that an item had been de-NFA'd, or whether the ATF just relies on a 'good-faith' sort of trust that laws/regulations are being followed?

I'll accept an 'I don't know', an 'I ain't saying', or even a 'I don't care' answer - again, was just curious :anyone:
Why would you want to take a legal gun turn in your paper work and make it Illegal when you had to pay $200 in the frist place? I'm sure they don't care if you turn in your paper work and revert it to a standard rifle. If you are going to make an illegal gun why register it and pay for the tax stamp in the first place?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you want to take a legal gun turn in your paper work and make it Illegal when you had to pay $200 in the frist place? I'm sure they don't care if you turn in your paper work and revert it to a standard rifle. If you are going to make an illegal gun why register it and pay for the tax stamp in the first place?
I don't, but the comment by Kingfisher at post #441 made me ask the question I did at my post #445 as it was related to the ATF flip-flop on arm-braces (first legal, then illegal, then legal again, then legal but you have to register, etc.). I suppose it would be enough for some people to just throw-up their hands and say - alright ATF, I got rid of my arm-brace (not really) so take me off your NFA-item registry and don't bother me about it anymore. Just wondering if ATF agents physically came around checking to see if you actually did get rid of the arm-brace or would they just accept your word that you did. Again, just curious about it.

Last edited:

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't, but the comment by Kingfisher at post #441 made me ask the question I did at my post #445 as it was related to the ATF flip-flop on arm-braces (first legal, then illegal, then legal again, then legal but you have to register, etc.). I suppose it would be enough for some people to just throw-up their hands and say - alright ATF, I got rid of my arm-brace (not really) so take me off your NFA-item registry and don't bother me about it anymore. Just wondering if ATF agents physically cam around checking to see if you actually did get rid of the arm-brace or would they just accept your word that you did. Again, just curious about it.
Look at it this way. Once it's an NFA item, plan on keeping that lower forever. If you are short on cash, sell the upper. Or buy a stripped lower and assemble that with your (now legal) brace and sell that. The now registered lower, being an NFA item, is now still worth $50 (used stripped lower) but it cannot be sold without going thru legal hoops. And (if you did it properly) it still has your name engraved on the side. De-registering is mainly for really expensive stuff. Like if you wanted your $2500+ AK variant (I've seen several SLR-107URs that were deregistered) to go back to 16" barrel and then sold for maximum profits. Not so much for an AR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom