Anyone want to rent a van or SUV out for a couple of weeks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got company coming in next month for 2 weeks or so. My wife wants to borrow my truck, which means I get her Taurus... NOT going to happen!

So I've looked on some of the car rental websites and tried to find good deals, etc. With all the damn taxes and crap (like 30%+), we just get bent OVER. Most places I'm seeing in the neighborhood of $800-1100... I'm just flabbergasted.

Anyways... my wife and her family are clean and respectful. There will be children in the car, but we will make sure to take care of someone else's property better than our own, and it will be well-cleaned before being brought back.

No long trips, just Eastern Oklahoma, really. Needs to seat 7. A minivan or full-size SUV would be fine.

We're well-insured (over-insured, actually) and will check with our agent about providing additional coverage for the short term.

So... I'm sure someone has a "vacation wagon" sitting under the carport they wouldn't mind making some extra bread off of, eh? I'd much rather my hard-earned money funds someone's AR build or something than put it into the pockets of some faceless corporate executive who probably got TARP funds while skipping out on paying taxes altogether on their 7-figure income...

Looking at last 2 weeks of July or so. No cross-country traveling, just visiting right here in Green Country. :D

Thanks!

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I dont have a van for you, but what kind of truck do you have that seats 7 people? Also what do you consider "over insured" especially if you are talking about a vehicle thats not even on the policy? Can you over insure on comp/collision?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I dont have a van for you, but what kind of truck do you have that seats 7 people? Also what do you consider "over insured" especially if you are talking about a vehicle thats not even on the policy? Can you over insure on comp/collision?

My Tahoe will seat 7, and I don't even have the 2nd row bench seat... captain's chairs in the 2nd row. 2 in front, 2 in second row, 3 in 3rd row (tightly). Not that big of a deal... something like an Expedition or a Suburban would be even easier to seat that many and tow baggage along, as well.

And by overinsured, I mean I carry the maximum liability and medical coverage allowed by my carrier in the state of Oklahoma, plus I have a large "umbrella policy" that covers myself and my wife for additional claims above and beyond our homeowner's or auto insurance.

And as for covering the vehicle, I am not sure, but I can call my agent and likely have the vehicle added to my policy for a short period of time without any kind of title transfer. It would cost me a little extra to add a 4th vehicle to my policy, but certainly much less than taking out the insurance coverage on a true rental car.

Thanks for prompting me to clarify the situation for those who might not have understood I was actually looking for someone who might have an extra vehicle they didn't mind "loaning" out to me for a while. lol

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's so bad about swapping vehicles with your wife for a couple of weeks? It's going to be cheaper than renting a van, and you'll score points with the spousal unit through that selfless act of sacrifice...

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're well-insured (over-insured, actually) and will check with our agent about providing additional coverage for the short term.

You will need to verify that your policy will cover renting another person's vehicle and make sure they don't consider it a borrowed vehicle where the other person's policy is primary with yours being secondary. Most of the time the policy follows the vehicle, so whoever you borrow the vehicle from policy will more than likely be the primary policy to repair their vehicle and possibly for any liability coverage resulting from the loss.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is true. Unless the vehicle's policy excludes it from being borrowed, it will pay primary and your insurance is secondary to theirs.

Also, there is no such thing as maximum liability and med pay in Oklahoma. You can purchase as much as your carrier will sell you. We only have minimum financial responsibility laws.

Latest posts

Top Bottom