AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolworh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was just wandering what you needed to build a AR-15, is it just the upper and lower and if so does it help to use the same brand. Can a regular person put one together or does it need to be taken to a gunsmith. Thanks for any information.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
arfcom has a really good thread on how to build your own AR15 but I can't access them from work to provide you with a link to it.

Anyone with a little mechanical apptitude that can follow directions can put one together on their own.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm building my first AR using the following steps:

* Buy a stripped lower receiver. I would get this local to avoid having to ship to a FFL and pay for a transfer. This (I'm sure you're already aware if you have researched this far) is the only part that is legally considered the firearm.

* Buy a lower build kit from Palmetto State Armory. It is everything needed to finish off the lower, including a LPK, and Magpul goodies. Considerable savings over buying individual part. FWIW, I am not sure if I am going to stick with the CMMG lpk, but if not I bet I could sell it on here without much issue.

* Buy an assembled complete upper. The upper is the only part that requires special tools, so I am going with the complete. Legal Transfers LLC has excellent prices on shipped uppers, but only carries Rock River, Stag, and LMT as far as I know. That said, I think we can all agree those brands' uppers are all of good quality.

All in all, I am going have the complete rifle less optics under 900, and that's with a quality upper, lower, and furniture. Only part that is questionable is the LPK which I can trade up fairly cheaply.

03on22s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm building my first AR using the following steps:

* Buy a stripped lower receiver. I would get this local to avoid having to ship to a FFL and pay for a transfer. This (I'm sure you're already aware if you have researched this far) is the only part that is legally considered the firearm.

* Buy a lower build kit from Palmetto State Armory. It is everything needed to finish off the lower, including a LPK, and Magpul goodies. Considerable savings over buying individual part. FWIW, I am not sure if I am going to stick with the CMMG lpk, but if not I bet I could sell it on here without much issue.

* Buy an assembled complete upper. The upper is the only part that requires special tools, so I am going with the complete. Legal Transfers LLC has excellent prices on shipped uppers, but only carries Rock River, Stag, and LMT as far as I know. That said, I think we can all agree those brands' uppers are all of good quality.

All in all, I am going have the complete rifle less optics under 900, and that's with a quality upper, lower, and furniture. Only part that is questionable is the LPK which I can trade up fairly cheaply.

We have some really good guys on here that carry all that stuff that have really good prices. Just ask around and they would be glad to help you. You'll probably get some PM's from just posting this thread.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were buying parts and complete uppers, I'd definitely go with Bravo Company Machine or Daniel Defense. Top notch gear at reasonable prices.

Areas where folks most commonly get disappointed are color match on uppers and lowers, and upper to lower fit. Keep in mind that neither of these is an actual issue, but lots of folks want pretty and tight for their $$$. I've heard that Mega Machine upper to lower fit is very good and they have a quality product.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were buying parts and complete uppers, I'd definitely go with Barvo Company Machine or Daniel Defense. Top notch gear at reasonable prices.

Areas where folks most commonly get disappointed are color match on uppers and lowers, and upper to lower fit. Keep in mind that neither of these is an actual issue, but lots of folks want pretty and tight for their $$$. I've heard that Mega Machine upper to lower fit is very good and they have a quality product.

I just bought everything for my SBR build off of Bravo Company Machine. Great website and fast shipping.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a stripped lower, put in the lower parts kit, installed the magpul stock I wanted and now Im waiting for my complete upper from Del-ton. Just take your time and do your homework over at ar15.com. tons of info there

Latest posts

Top Bottom