AR Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiant_shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the wife finally said I could get an AR15. Problem is, I can't really afford a brand new one out of the box. I would really like to build my own (by build I mean buy piece by piece and assemble) I have absolutely no idea how this process works and what I should be looking for etc. Any help would be appreciated! I am pretty new to any type of gun other than a handgun. I shot a buddies AR the other day and absolutely loved it.

Guns N' Cars

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the wife finally said I could get an AR15. Problem is, I can't really afford a brand new one out of the box. I would really like to build my own (by build I mean buy piece by piece and assemble) I have absolutely no idea how this process works and what I should be looking for etc. Any help would be appreciated! I am pretty new to any type of gun other than a handgun. I shot a buddies AR the other day and absolutely loved it.

10.5 Stang can hook you up, great guy

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bushmaster has a video that has step by step instructions on how to assemble an AR. Costs about 20 bucks. They tell you the tools you need and how to do it.

Eightuhp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MAS!! Martin or Matt will get you a good set up within your budget! There are a ton of FREE videos on the web to walk you through anything you need. On the other hand if you use MAS they will help you and walk you through a build and probably show you some tricks to make things easier!http://www.masgunworks.com/

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go buy a box or 2 gallon freezer bags. You will only need one for your purpose of assembly.

When you ask why, try looking for this I (actual size shown of a breakdown, safety, whatever detent) on the floor of what ever room you are working in. When assembling an AR lower the sound, "Boing" is shortly followed by a cuss word and time spent on your hands and knees.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go buy a box or 2 gallon freezer bags. You will only need one for your purpose of assembly.

When assembling an AR lower the sound, "Boing" is shortly followed by a cuss word and time spent on your hands and knees.

More like a very very long string of cuss words! If you're gonna buy it piece by piece, have someone like mas build it for you, or get a video on how to.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

When you ask why, try looking for this I (actual size shown of a breakdown, safety, whatever detent) on the floor of what ever room you are working in. When assembling an AR lower the sound, "Boing" is shortly followed by a cuss word and time spent on your hands and knees.

More like a very very long string of cuss words! If you're gonna buy it piece by piece, have someone like mas build it for you, or get a video on how to.

Just like the loudest sound in a gunfight is click, this is the loudest sound in an AR build. That or the ear breaking off of your lower because you did not support it when putting in the front pin on the trigger guard......:scream:

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like the loudest sound in a gunfight is click, this is the loudest sound in an AR build. That or the ear breaking off of your lower because you did not support it when putting in the front pin on the trigger guard......:scream:

plastic/rubber/electrical tape covered plyer jaws help with this one.

To answer the original OP question. I started reading on ar15.com. reading reading and reading.

I picked up the parts I needed from vendors on this forum. Back when group buys opperated the way they were suposed to, I picked up 3 lowers. Two for builds for my dad and I. One for the safe. (I still have plans for that one)

I picked up the LPKs and lowers from Mas. The picked up uppers and stock assemblies from Nighthawk. Luckily I made my final part puchases before the hysteria started November 5th. $700 in both rifles(before I added optics and upgraded sights).

The rules of the game are simple. Have your money ready and sit on the classifieds looking for deals. Patience is a must. The more patience the cheaper you can find things. If you see something you want buy it. If you find something cheaper you can always sell it to fund something else.

I wanted the complete uppers for expedience. I was trying to get the AR for my dad built by his birthday. I'm glad I did what I did.

The assembled lower is the easy part. The upper is the costly and frustrating part. To many options. Keep it simple.

If I had to do it again. I would have just thrown money into a jar/AR Piggy bank and waited.

Latest posts

Top Bottom