AR make & model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, money came in and wife is allowing me some for an AR. Don't laugh, you married guys know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm not going as high as she allowed, we have other things I want to put the money towards. So, with that being said I'm looking at a sport model AR. I've narrowed it down to the three below, if y'all can give your opinions on each I sure would apprecaite it.

S&W M&P 15
PSA
FBT

Again, all are sport models, trying to stay under $700 out the door.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just can't find anything with the specs of a PSA for the money anywhere... their barrels are the best feature. They are made by FN in accordance with all the mil specs -- sometimes exceeding them. Not everybody wants a 4150 chrome lined 1/7 twist proofed and inspected barrel, but as someone who wants a rifle that will be reliable under hard use, I sure appreciate all those features. With the 1/7 twist, you can shoot anything from the 55 grain surplus ammo up to the 77 grain stuff -- the heaviest that you can actually get into a magazine. They also sell some uppers with barrels that are hammer forged with double thick chrome lining, for a little extra money. It's just hard to go wrong with one of their barreled uppers. If you're planning on going with a free float handguard anyway, they have some great package deals on those too. If you're just going with a basic M-4gery setup, you can get a whole rifle put together for not much more than $600. This would be a good start: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...g-handle-and-psa-carry-handle-rear-sight.html Add a stripped lower and one of their lower build kits, and you have a very nice rifle. I have put together a few rifles with their uppers, and they are all great.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, money came in and wife is allowing me some for an AR. Don't laugh, you married guys know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm not going as high as she allowed, we have other things I want to put the money towards. So, with that being said I'm looking at a sport model AR. I've narrowed it down to the three below, if y'all can give your opinions on each I sure would apprecaite it.

S&W M&P 15
PSA
FBT

Again, all are sport models, trying to stay under $700 out the door.

Let me know what you get, looks like we are riding in the same boat. Academy has the Windham on sale right now for $660, and I saw a DPMS for $630 at Norman WalMart the other day. Just a couple others to consider. I've been reading so many AR threads lately I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy once, cry once.

Manufacturers can build higher quality guns for cheaper (economy of scale) than if you were to buy an entry model and upgrade parts. Get something that is closer to your ideal finished gun, you'll save money in the end. If you can't afford to do that make sure that the barrel is quality and stay away from polymer receivers.

Good luck in your search.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a complete S&W rifle we can hook you up with the M&P Optics Ready for $800 + tax. This price is below dealer cost.

If you would rather go with a Spikes we have a nice 16" middy in stock in the $850ish price range.

If you want to pick your parts, we stock nitride barrels, SS barrels and a few CHF barrels.

We're worth the trip even if you don't buy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom