Are low oil prices helping or hurting you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a Tulsan I have mixed feelings, the truth is that there is too much oil, there never has been a shortage, just manipulation of production and prices.
In a free enterprise situation where the government doesn't prevent companies from producing on federal lands and offshore (like the rest of the world does),
oil would find its proper price according to how hard and expensive it is to produce it not because it is artificially bloated to screw the consumer.
Considering that oil has vital strategic and economic value, the first priority should be to be fully independent from any foreign oil, no matter where it comes from,
even if we have to put tariffs on imports. Its stupid to import when we have so much.
Hmmm, maybe we should have tariffs on imports of food too, given the economic and strategic value of food.
That's the way Japan protects their rice farmers. "It's national security policy".

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe we should have tariffs on imports of food too, given the economic and strategic value of food.
That's the way Japan protects their rice farmers. "It's national security policy".

We have something else, the farm bill that pays farmers not to grow and subsidizes everything to keep the farmers well fed, no free enterprise there.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't say I want it, just pointing at the obvious.
ADM, a multibillion dollar corporation is a farmer, they get billions of tax dollars.

You're willing to manipulate the price of imported oil with a tariff to protect domestic oil producers.

I have a better idea....
Let's repeal the ban on domestic oil exports instead?

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're willing to manipulate the price of imported oil with a tariff to protect domestic oil producers.

I have a better idea....
Let's repeal the ban on domestic oil exports instead?

A better idea might be to allow free oil production and then worry about what we might have to do after that.
You will not see free oil production because too many deep pockets will be hurt.
I am all for free enterprise but that is not what is happening when the government finds excuses to prevent production.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A better idea might be to allow free oil production and then worry about what we might have to do after that.
You will not see free oil production because too many deep pockets will be hurt.
I am all for free enterprise but that is not what is happening when the government finds excuses to prevent production.
That's what I said earlier.
Oil producers are in this mess because there isn't enough oil being produced.
Drill Baby Drill

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is something else the .gov can do.

We are sitting on 700 million barrels of oil in the SPR.
We should sell it all and use the money to reduce the deficit.
Cushing is overflowing with crude oil and the SPR is full.
The problem is that there just isn't enough drilling on federal land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom