Are rifles redundant/Pointless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take a rifle over a shotgun for home defense any day of the week.

I have to agree with the above. I am the proud owner of (IMO) the finest HD shotgun readily available which is the VEPR12 and up until now I considered it the pinnacle of HD weaponry...Started a thread on another forum about combat shotguns and SMS & Uncle Money Bags have successfully changed my opinion.

What does a shotgun do for HD better than...say...a 5.56 or 300blk AR?

- buckshot does NOT fan out at inside the home distances so you have to aim JUST AS WELL to hit you target with either.
- It kicks like a sumbitch making follow up shots slower and less accurate.
- it has limited capacity (think multiple targets).
- MOST people run buckshot and or slugs so barrier penetration is equally an issue.
- If you run birdshot to avoid barrier penetration, you decrease your chances of neutralizing a threat.

I hate to just ship and argue the other side but as it sits right now I have to say rifle > shotgun...not that anyone cares.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above. I am the proud owner of (IMO) the finest HD shotgun readily available which is the VEPR12 and up until now I considered it the pinnacle of HD weaponry...Started a thread on another forum about combat shotguns and SMS & Uncle Money Bags have successfully changed my opinion.

What does a shotgun do for HD better than...say...a 5.56 or 300blk AR?

- buckshot does NOT fan out at inside the home distances so you have to aim JUST AS WELL to hit you target with either.
- It kicks like a sum***** making follow up shots slower and less accurate.
- it has limited capacity (think multiple targets).
- MOST people run buckshot and or slugs so barrier penetration is equally an issue.
- If you run birdshot to avoid barrier penetration, you decrease your chances of neutralizing a threat.

I hate to just ship and argue the other side but as it sits right now I have to say rifle > shotgun...not that anyone cares.
Yeah it was a tough call. Kind da wanted to save up for an AK/SKS or something but that shotgun was so cheap and had good reviews plus I get 10% off due to employee discount. Hard to pass up. Figure if I do get a rifle it could be another HD gun staged in another room.

Would you store a rifle in the living room or bedroom? My apt is practically just those two rooms, both a straight line of sight to the door with the bedroom being further away.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it ever really goes over the edge, I expect the true patriot LE and military to be fighting on my side! In which case something like an AR will be my minor contribution to the cause!

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it's putting meat in the freezer and on the table. A 308 due to the large amount and accessibility of ammo offerings. Can take down most anything in North America. Tikka CTR 308 was my personal preference.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If all you're interested in is home defense weapons, then a lever action Winchester, Rossi, or Puma '92 in .357 would compliment your current collection quite nicely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom