Ask a Chef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have quite a bit of cooks on the forum so how about a thread for asking cooking questions. I will do my best to answer any questions on anything cooking related.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have quite a bit of cooks on the forum so how about a thread for asking cooking questions. I will do my best to answer any questions on anything cooking related.

I have asked for a cooking\recipe section in the past it just hasn't happened yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 dried ancho chiles
1- 6oz can of tomato paste
1/4 cup of corn oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teasopoon of ground cumin
3 cups of beef broth

Preheat oven to 400put the chiles on a cookie sheet, in the oven for 3-4 minutes to toast.
remove from the oven, get rid of the stems, seeds and pulp.
Place the peppers in a bowl and pour enough hot wanter into the bowl to cover completely, and let soak for 1 hour.

Combine the ancho chiles, tomatoe paste, corn oil, garlic, salt, oregano cumin and about 1 cup of beef broth into a blender, and puree until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a saucepan with the remaining beef broth and place over medium heat, allowing it to simmer for about 10 minutes, and serve....
Trust me, you will never buy the store bought crap again after making this. Make it in bulk, and put it in zip loc bags to freeze.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does building a roux in a black iron skillet really make a difference? Or is a roux made in the microwave just as good?

I'd also love to see a recipe thread.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With youtube.........I have just about retire my cookbooks. I just go to youtube, type it in, and "bam"....there it is.

I used this to verify if I wanted to brine my turkey last Thanksgiving. My family hasn't ever brined a turkey, so they were no help. I bought the seasoning/brine at Williams Sonoma, and used their videos and youtube.

One of the many things I miss about Houston is the cooking store....Sur La Tabla.
http://www.surlatable.com/browse/storeLocator/landingPage.jsp?affsrcid=Aff0003
Cohiba

***I know, I know........Hmmm... Class III guns or Cooking & Grilling items...which one, which one...hmmm

Last edited:

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How the hell do you saute with olive oil? Every time I try, it either doesn't get hot enough and everything sticks to the pan, or I get it past its smoke point and I just end up wiping out the pan and doing it with canola oil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom