Ask a Chef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does building a roux in a black iron skillet really make a difference? Or is a roux made in the microwave just as good?

I'd also love to see a recipe thread.

Yes. No. As would I ...

How the hell do you saute with olive oil? Every time I try, it either doesn't get hot enough and everything sticks to the pan, or I get it past its smoke point and I just end up wiping out the pan and doing it with canola oil.

What kind of olive oil are you using?? "Regular" olive oil has a higher smoke point that "virgin" or "extra virgin" oils so save the virgin and extra-virgin oils for your salads and to drizzle over bread. Go snag a good quality "regular" olive oil to saute or deep fry with.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can answer this one.... stay too broke to go out to eat. Works in my house at least.

LOL ... works for us too! However, I started cooking a LOT more when I didn't have a full-time job too. Nothing sucks more than working all day and then coming home to "what's for dinner, honey?" when certain other individuals who shall remain unnamed got off work 3 hours earlier and has already had a nap ...

Have I mentioned I like being a Stepford wife?? LOL

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of olive oil are you using?? "Regular" olive oil has a higher smoke point that "virgin" or "extra virgin" oils so save the virgin and extra-virgin oils for your salads and to drizzle over bread. Go snag a good quality "regular" olive oil to saute or deep fry with.

Oy. I swear I knew that about EV olive oil but it never occurred to me to try regular for some reason.

Woody's Janitor said:
How do I get my wife to cook?

Cook for her, try to make her feel obligated. May I suggest cooktobang.com?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 dried ancho chiles
1- 6oz can of tomato paste
1/4 cup of corn oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teasopoon of ground cumin
3 cups of beef broth

Preheat oven to 400put the chiles on a cookie sheet, in the oven for 3-4 minutes to toast.
remove from the oven, get rid of the stems, seeds and pulp.
Place the peppers in a bowl and pour enough hot wanter into the bowl to cover completely, and let soak for 1 hour.

Combine the ancho chiles, tomatoe paste, corn oil, garlic, salt, oregano cumin and about 1 cup of beef broth into a blender, and puree until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a saucepan with the remaining beef broth and place over medium heat, allowing it to simmer for about 10 minutes, and serve....
Trust me, you will never buy the store bought crap again after making this. Make it in bulk, and put it in zip loc bags to freeze.

I'm copyin this one, it sounds awesome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom