Ask a Chef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Next time you grill hamburgers, mix 2/3 of 90/10 ground chuck with 1/3 Jimmy Dean Breakfast (Potters) Pork Sausage and make your patties outta that. They'll be so popular, you'll not have anything left.

2. Take 1/2 c. white vinegar, 1 c. water, 1/2 tsp alum, 1tbsp garlic dust, 1 tbsp salt, and 5 oz of red Tabasco into a widemouth Mason jar. Stuff the sucker full of fresh greenbeans. Dump it into the refridgerator, wait two or three weeks, and eat the best pickles you've ever tasted. Reuse the brine everytime you run low, but reoctane with Tabasco as needed.

3. Don't use the crockpot to slowcook beans and ham. Use a stockpot and range top. Much lower simmer temperatures make better beans.

4. When canning tomatoes, drop raw fruit into boiling water for 30 seconds and drop immediately into icy water to permit easy peel removal.

There are lots of good cooks and great advice on OSA. Everytime I've asked, someone has always given me a great answer.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How the hell do you saute with olive oil? Every time I try, it either doesn't get hot enough and everything sticks to the pan, or I get it past its smoke point and I just end up wiping out the pan and doing it with canola oil.

Are you heating the pan first? Heat pan, add oil, when it wavers in the pan (15-30 sec) add whatever your sauteeing. If it's vegetables, keep it moving. If it's meat, leave for 2-3 min and flip.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you heating the pan first? Heat pan, add oil, when it wavers in the pan (15-30 sec) add whatever your sauteeing. If it's vegetables, keep it moving. If it's meat, leave for 2-3 min and flip.

This is exactly how I do it.

I'm a pro sautee-er with oils that have a higher smoke point like canola, but I've been using Extra Virgin olive oil like an idiot, which starts smoking by the time it gets as hot as I want it.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oy. I swear I knew that about EV olive oil but it never occurred to me to try regular for some reason.

Cook for her, try to make her feel obligated. May I suggest cooktobang.com?

Since I do at least half the cooking I showed this to my wife of 41 years..Poopgiggle, she either horse laughed me or you and I'm not sure which...but I think it's an excellent idea.:naughty:

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the secret to hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel?

Put eggs in pot fill with cold water bring to boil with high heat as soon as they they are boiling remove from heat cover and let sit for 10 to 12 min depending on size off eggs. Then peel while they are still warm.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What kind of knife do you use in the kitchen?

I have always been partial to a chef’s knife with about an 8" blade. I have several but the one that I use the most has a ceramic blade. I wish I had one of these when I was in the restaurant business.

Mark

Latest posts

Top Bottom