Attn: All Duck Hunters!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to start duck hunting this year for the very first time. :thumbup3:
I will be with some highschool boys from the school I work at that have done it for a while so it's not like I'm just going with no mentor...But what do I need to know about ducks or duck hunting? All I've ever hunted is deer and rabbits/squirrels.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Don't call unless you are at least decent. You can buy calls and there are plenty of youtube instructional videos on calling out there as well as DVDs and CDs. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

2. One person needs to be calling the shot. You don't want everyone in the blind to randomly jump up and start blasting. Have one designated "shot caller" so when the ducks get in range they call the shot and then everyone gets up and shoots as a team.

3. Be patient. Lots of times ducks will make several passes, getting closer each time. Let the ducks work so you can have a closer, more high percentage shot. (watching ducks work decoys is half the fun anyway)

Equipment

Waders- I got the redhead brand at Basspro for $89 bucks. You can spend about as much as you want to on them. You might go one shoe size up to allow for thick socks. Neoprene is the way to go.

Gloves- If you are gonna be handling decoys (especially in January) a good set of neoprene gloves will serve you well. I usually wear the neoprene gloves for setting up/packing up decoys and wear some fleece ones in the blind.

Calls- There are literally gazillions of call manufacturers out there. With calls you can spend from $20 a call (Primos calls) to literally hundreds of dollars for hand made calls. I use a Duck Commander Duck Picker. It was about 30 bucks and I have been pleased with it.

Ammo/Chokes- You must use a non-lead shot. Steel, Bismuth, or Tungsten. Steel will be the cheapest and most readily found. The best advice I can give you is to buy a few different brands and try different shot sizes/choke tube combos and pattern your gun. I typically use a modified choke 3" shells with #3 shot steel shot. Kent FastSteel is the best bang for your buck in the ammo department, in my opinion.

Shotgun- The best gun for duck hunting is the one you trust to go bang every time. Duck hunting can present some pretty harsh elements (cold, wet, muddy, etc) and you need a gun that you trust to hold up against it. I won't get into auto vs pump but I'm sure that will be discussed here. All that matters is that it be a gun that can function in the elements.

Most importantly have fun. Waterfowling differs from deer hunting because I view more like a team sport. If everyone works together, your percentages for success go way up. You don't have to be so still and quiet, can have coffee and breakfast in the blind, and yuk it up with your buddies.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After re-reading my post the calling part seems a bit harsh. My point is to practice before you go to the blind. Once you learn the different types of calls and when you should make them, the best practice is of course on live ducks.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to be so still and quiet, can have coffee and breakfast in the blind, and yuk it up with your buddies.

This is one of my most favorite parts of waterfowling, proceeded by good dog work. There is nothing better than making a good shot, marked by the dog, followed by a classic retrieve. If that is the only duck I get all day, I call it a succesful trip. My trips revolve around my dog, she is the whole reason I go. She's happy, I'm happy, even when she has ice hanging form her whiskers. She does get a little gassy in the blind of I feed her a sausage biscuit with egg on it. We've switched to a pocket full of chicken livers.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ducks will land into the wind. Make sure you designate the guy to "call the shot"............this is my favorite part. I take great delight in busting the lead bird right before the guy says "takem'"

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-If the ducks are landing in the spread well shoot at thier bellies, if you aim at their heads you will miss high nearly every time.

-Breaking ice sucks.

-Dont get in water thats deeper than your waders...sounds simple...if you duck hunt long enough it will happen though.

-Dont worry about getting all geared up for your first few time, you''ll accumulate that stuff once you fall in love w/it.

-There is certainly something special about early mornings in the blind with your buddies.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, don't let that stop you. I hunted for years before I ever got a dog. I used fishin poles and trebel hooks, sticks, rocks, bout anything else you can think of to retrieve downed birds.

One other thing I did not see mentioned that I think is very important, use a face mask or face paint. It is amazing how much that mug will shine from afar. Step back 50 yards or so from your blind and look at your buddies without their's on and you can see what a difference it makes. I try to keep my face down anyway and call towards the ground, but sometimes ya just gotta look. If you are an unexperienced caller, you might get a shaker feeder call. They require little finesse since you don't blow on them, just a little shaking of the hand. (make sure to hide your hand when you are shaking it) If the guys you are going with are experienced duck hunters, they will probably be tootin their own calls and a feeder call makes a good background call and you can contribute. Just do so sparingly.

Good luck man, you are in for a wonderful addiction!

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Don't call unless you are at least decent. You can buy calls and there are plenty of youtube instructional videos on calling out there as well as DVDs and CDs. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

2. One person needs to be calling the shot. You don't want everyone in the blind to randomly jump up and start blasting. Have one designated "shot caller" so when the ducks get in range they call the shot and then everyone gets up and shoots as a team.

3. Be patient. Lots of times ducks will make several passes, getting closer each time. Let the ducks work so you can have a closer, more high percentage shot. (watching ducks work decoys is half the fun anyway)

Equipment

Waders- I got the redhead brand at Basspro for $89 bucks. You can spend about as much as you want to on them. You might go one shoe size up to allow for thick socks. Neoprene is the way to go.

Gloves- If you are gonna be handling decoys (especially in January) a good set of neoprene gloves will serve you well. I usually wear the neoprene gloves for setting up/packing up decoys and wear some fleece ones in the blind.

Calls- There are literally gazillions of call manufacturers out there. With calls you can spend from $20 a call (Primos calls) to literally hundreds of dollars for hand made calls. I use a Duck Commander Duck Picker. It was about 30 bucks and I have been pleased with it.

Ammo/Chokes- You must use a non-lead shot. Steel, Bismuth, or Tungsten. Steel will be the cheapest and most readily found. The best advice I can give you is to buy a few different brands and try different shot sizes/choke tube combos and pattern your gun. I typically use a modified choke 3" shells with #3 shot steel shot. Kent FastSteel is the best bang for your buck in the ammo department, in my opinion.

Shotgun- The best gun for duck hunting is the one you trust to go bang every time. Duck hunting can present some pretty harsh elements (cold, wet, muddy, etc) and you need a gun that you trust to hold up against it. I won't get into auto vs pump but I'm sure that will be discussed here. All that matters is that it be a gun that can function in the elements.

Most importantly have fun. Waterfowling differs from deer hunting because I view more like a team sport. If everyone works together, your percentages for success go way up. You don't have to be so still and quiet, can have coffee and breakfast in the blind, and yuk it up with your buddies.

Darn near the best Duck Hunting 101 write-up I've ever read. Nicely put.

Latest posts

Top Bottom