Attn: All Duck Hunters!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Safety! Safety! Safety!

Join Ducks Unlimited....they have a plethora of waterfowl hunting advice...WNM posted some good stuff also.

Practice shooting clays before season...and be safe.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might throw in this -

If you think you might seriously want to take this sport up, a cheap investment is a decent call. Like mentioned above, I use a DC Picker. Grab one, watch some videos, and keep it in the truck, practicing to and from work. Good exercise...

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-If the ducks are landing in the spread well shoot at thier bellies, if you aim at their heads you will miss high nearly every time.

-Breaking ice sucks.

-Dont get in water thats deeper than your waders...sounds simple...if you duck hunt long enough it will happen though.

-Dont worry about getting all geared up for your first few time, you''ll accumulate that stuff once you fall in love w/it.

-There is certainly something special about early mornings in the blind with your buddies.

Good advice on the gear. It has taken me years to accumulate all of my stuff.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-Dont get in water thats deeper than your waders...sounds simple...if you duck hunt long enough it will happen though.

Watching this happen is a favorite pasttime of mine. We all do it once. Reach down in a little too deep of water, or slip off a rock into a lower pocket. Wader's fill, we freeze and struggle to get out under all the weight. Of course, it can be dangerous, but its also really entertaining to watch, and pretty funny to think back on the first time it happened to you. :hithead:

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watching this happen is a favorite pasttime of mine. We all do it once. Reach down in a little too deep of water, or slip off a rock into a lower pocket. Wader's fill, we freeze and struggle to get out under all the weight. Of course, it can be dangerous, but its also really entertaining to watch, and pretty funny to think back on the first time it happened to you. :hithead:

The first time I did it I was 12 and had canvas waders. Stepped off over my head and damn near drowned. All I could think to do was hold my shotgun above the water cause I was scared I'd ruin it. Luckily my dad was right there and pulled me up.

I've done it a couple of times since then. Always funny.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking, and when I fall in love with shooting ducks I'm going to want a shotgun to fit the task. Looking at Winchester SX3 and Remington 11-87. Any thoughts there?

Might be better to post that in a whole new thread, since you'll get people darn near explosive over their opinions on that.

Here's my train of thought on it:
- For duck hunting, since you battle the elements, I always use a gun with a synthetic stock.
- You'll have to choose pump or auto depending on your budget and use. I prefer pump, but that's just me. An 1187 is a fantastic gun.
- You'll want to make sure you don't just jump on the deal of day at the sporting good store, as many times they are fixed choke barrels, which you don't want.
- Personally, I'm a Benelli and a Remington guy. Mossbergs work too and their cheap, but they're a little clanky and sometimes ship with those fixed choke barrels.

Look at me...I went and started the argument. Dang it. Open a new thread on this one!!!:smash:

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Great advice on the gun. I don't think you started anything bad here. I use a Nova now after 12 years of waterfowling. Learned my lesson on autos.
Go with the basics and don't get caught up in the gimmick race. Have fun. A week from Saturday we will be shooting in zone 1... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom