B.S policy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3A41B49F-5A3D-4CFB-816C-C576A1DE256E.jpeg

That be Bernie Sanders, the bs is soooo appropriate.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to argue with that. But not all felons are murderers. I don’t agree with permanently stripping all felons of voting rights. It’s worth having a conversation about who should have their voting rights restored and when, but the suggestion of allowing inmates to vote while incarcerated is pretty silly.

I know this won’t be a popular stance in this crowd, but I’m generally of the opinion that once someone serves their sentence and is released, their rights should be restored (personal liberty, voting, guns, everything). Not saying I wouldn’t waver from that position in certain cases, but in general if someone has served their time, that should be the end of their punishment.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a very fair minded stance, and if only things were that simple, I believe that the majority of folks would agree. With the large number of incarcerated individuals, and their extended friends and family, this isn't a proposal out of the kindness of politicians hearts. It is nothing more than identifying a large block of unthinking voters. Unfortunately, this is the common method of campaigning.

Plus, if they hadn't had access to firearms in the first place, they probably wouldn't be there. I know, everyone has rights, but the answer to solving gun violence has to include identifying people who either are mentally incompentant or have shown their violent, and/or, criminal bent and getting them help, or keeping them away from the potential victims.

I don't know how to make that happen, but we need to be finding those answers.

Just saying automatically that all rights are restored just doesn't seem smart.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m generally of the opinion that once someone serves their sentence and is released, their rights should be restored (personal liberty, voting, guns, everything). Not saying I wouldn’t waver from that position in certain cases, but in general if someone has served their time, that should be the end of their punishment.
I agree.

If a person can't be trusted with firearms (or even the right to vote), they shouldn't be released into the general public anyway.

3 strikes and the death penalty would stop a lot of this nonsense.
:drunk2:

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mercy to criminals is cruelty to victims.
That sounds nice and all. But would this be your response if I proposed the death penalty for all criminal convictions? If so, begone. If not, you admit there is room for discussion as to what constitutes “mercy” and what is unjust punishment, so your quotation only diverts from an intelligent conversation about where that line should be drawn.

And it’s worth pointing out that Adam Smith actually wrote “…mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent…”* in the context of making the point that after a criminal has been convicted but before sentencing, there is a tendency for some people to begin to pity him and lose the desire to punish him because he’s already been humbled by the criminal justice system (if not in his heart, then in practice) and he’s facing a punishment that grieves their growing compassion toward him in his newly humbled condition. So in this context, “mercy” means a failure to impose any significant punishment, and “the innocent” refers to society in general, not the specific victims of the crime. Invoking the ideas of one of the greatest philosophers in history can be a great way to contribute something significant to a conversation, but it helps if you understand what they were talking about first.

* This is a correct quote if my memory is not failing me, which it may be. I have a bunch of my belongings packed up in preparation for moving and don’t have a copy of Moral Sentiments accessible. I apologize if it’s not word for word.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree.

If a person can't be trusted with firearms (or even the right to vote), they shouldn't be released into the general public anyway.

3 strikes and the death penalty would stop a lot of this nonsense.
Gotta be careful with how you implement 3 strikes though. There are cases in California of guys receiving life sentences for things like stealing a pack of gum because it was their third strike. Maybe only violent crimes should count toward 3 strikes. Dunno. Haven’t thought about it much.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta be careful with how you implement 3 strikes though. There are cases in California of guys receiving life sentences for things like stealing a pack of gum because it was their third strike. Maybe only violent crimes should count toward 3 strikes. Dunno. Haven’t thought about it much.
Yeah, I should have been more specific. I was thinking more like 3 felony strikes (violent or not).

Latest posts

Top Bottom