Beginners shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one-non-blonde

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never shot one before, but with prices for ammo handguns and the lack of finding ammo.....I am considering getting a shotgun for home defense.

I have heard many stories that the sound of it being cocked alone will scare the BG. Don't really believe that, but hey, whatever works. Also I have 4 dogs so I would be concerned about the them getting hurt as well if I had to use it on the BG.

Any recommendations? Pros and cons...

ONB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contrary to the conventional thought that a 12 ga pump is the best home defense, I've always preferred the semi-auto shotgun.
My main way of thinking is that if you are injured in the fight, you can change to the weak side and still be able to get off rounds one handed.(practicing using your weak side would be good) If using the pump, your screwed unless you know how and practice one hand pumping, but that takes a lot longer, than just pulling a trigger. Thats just my opinion:D

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd try and shoot a few to see which you handle the best and if the recoil is an issue. Try a 12, 20 and 410. Whichever you can tolerate the best then start looking for the platform you like pump or semi.

So many people debate on what load to use for self defense 000, 00, 0, 1 buck, 4 buck, birdshot, slugs etc etc. take a look at this thread and make up your own mind http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Whatever you pick, pattern it at different distances to see what the load does out of your barrel.

I own more 870's than mossbergs (500/590) but I shoot my mossbergs more.

Take a look at this thread from here. Has some good info too http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69565

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first problem with any long gun for HD is going around blind corners.

The second problem is that you won't have it with you always, the way you should when you have a handgun for HD.

For those reasons, a handgun is needed for HD. The ammo thing - yes, you need to practice a lot to get competent. Lots of dry fire can help with that, but you still need to shoot a bunch if you are a newbie. I'd not let ammo issues make my decision for me.

The shotgun - I use and recommend a Mossberg pump. I prefer the reliability of the pump over the ease of use of an auto. I prefer the pump's magazine to the shorter length and speed of a double. Remingtons are OK, but I prefer the controls on the Mossy.

What you should get depends on your tolerance of recoil. I use and prefer 12 gauge. Lots more SD loads are available in 12. Do not buy 3 inch magnums for this. I generally prefer slugs over buckshot. I like to have the shortest legal barrel Mossberg sells. I prefer a full buttstock to pistol grip - I never mastered the pistol, grew up with a full buttstock. I don't have anything good or bad to say about the pistol grips. If I could have any 12 gauge for this, it would be a Mossy 590 with ghost ring sites, an Uncle Mike's butt cuff holding extra rounds, a nylon sling, a bunch of low-recoil
"tactical" 2 3/4 slugs, glasses or goggles to protect my eyes, and a pair of those Peltor electronic noise reducing muffs so I can hear what is going on, but my hearing is protected in case I have to shoot inside. [Shooting a 12 in a small room will deafen you, right now, and leave you deaf for a while. Might do permanent damage, but more important, leaves you at a serious disadvantage dealing with your immediate situation.] If there were a way to put a silencer/supressor on the gun, that would be even better, but that is big bucks if it would work at all. I would also get a case of the cheapest ammo available to learn to shoot. You need not burn up expensive stuff for practice.

On a budget, I'd get a Mossy 500, with the same goodies.

20 has good loads, just harder to find.

.410 - people bad mouth it for SD, since it won't punch through windows and make big holes like a 12 does, but it has as much power as a big handgun, and is much more controllable. I would not write it off, but if you can tolerate more recoil, get a bigger gauge.

About your dogs - what is your point? Using deadly force in the home will put them at risk. The myths about how much a load of buckshot spreads are just that - myths. In home defense use, you are using the gun at a range of a few feet. The dogs are no more at risk than if you use a handgun. Maybe less, if your gun control is better with the long gun. Maybe less if you use slugs.

The thing about the noise of the action scaring off bad guys - forget that nonsense. The last thing you want to do is signal your location or intent. Silence is golden.

jej

Reaction score
The thing about the noise of the action scaring off bad guys - forget that nonsense. The last thing you want to do is signal your location or intent. Silence is golden.
jej

I'd much rather the bad guys get out of dodge before I have to shoot one in my home. That said, I don't count on that happening if they are inside...obviously they are not there to have coffee with me and the family. It might be seen as a risk to signal your position and/or intent, but I would like to think more than a few bad guys would get the heck out. If they don't...then it's obviously a no-hesitation, go-time situation.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I guess if the bad guy has staked out your house and has detail plans for what he is going to do you might also want to employ a small army of mercenaries to help protect you.

By the way I'm just kidding......

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a starter shotgun that's best suited for home defense I would suggest the Mossberg Maverick.

It comes with a shorter barrel (18 1/2 inches or 20) and larger tube for shells (6 or 8) and can be found at Academy Sports for under $200.

There isn't a better bargain for a gun then this.

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

EDIT ----

It also shares a lot of the same parts with a Mossberg 500. That means you can swap out barrels and the stock. So you could get either a pistol grip with an adjustable stock, or a shortened traditional stock. This would reduce the reach your forced to make and should improve your maneuverability with the gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom