Beginners shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdsconcrete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a starter shotgun that's best suited for home defense I would suggest the Mossberg Maverick.

It comes with a shorter barrel (18 1/2 inches or 20) and larger tube for shells (6 or 8) and can be found at Academy Sports for under $200.

There isn't a better bargain for a gun then this.

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

EDIT ----

It also shares a lot of the same parts with a Mossberg 500. That means you can swap out barrels and the stock. So you could get either a pistol grip with an adjustable stock, or a shortened traditional stock. This would reduce the reach your forced to make and should improve your maneuverability with the gun.

+1 best buy for the money.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a starter shotgun that's best suited for home defense I would suggest the Mossberg Maverick.

It comes with a shorter barrel (18 1/2 inches or 20) and larger tube for shells (6 or 8) and can be found at Academy Sports for under $200.

There isn't a better bargain for a gun then this.

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

EDIT ----

It also shares a lot of the same parts with a Mossberg 500. That means you can swap out barrels and the stock. So you could get either a pistol grip with an adjustable stock, or a shortened traditional stock. This would reduce the reach your forced to make and should improve your maneuverability with the gun.

+1 on the Maverick, 18.5 inch barrel and pistol grip for HD, then swap out for 28" barrel for flying targets, or 24" scoped rifled barrel for critters on dry land...
when you choose the pistol grip, choose one with a buttstock similar to factory for recoil management...

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12g with 18.5 inch barrel. The barrel has rifle sites, seems to aid in acquiring target. Nice shotgun, easy to shoulder and point. It was $325.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd try and shoot a few to see which you handle the best and if the recoil is an issue. Try a 12, 20 and 410. Whichever you can tolerate the best then start looking for the platform you like pump or semi.

So many people debate on what load to use for self defense 000, 00, 0, 1 buck, 4 buck, birdshot, slugs etc etc. take a look at this thread and make up your own mind http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Whatever you pick, pattern it at different distances to see what the load does out of your barrel.

I own more 870's than mossbergs (500/590) but I shoot my mossbergs more.

Take a look at this thread from here. Has some good info too http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69565

+1.....Academy has some good models for a budget

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do indoor ranges (H&H) allow you to shoot a shotgun? Can she rent one to see what she likes and can handle?

ONB- how are you going to store your shotgun when you aren't home so it's not used against you?

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found the youth models fit me better. I guess my arms are short. 20ga is easier for me to control. 12ga is really tough on my shoulder and I eventually developed a flinch from the recoil.

At room distances, shot keeps a pretty tight pattern as most shotties are choked at least a little. A chest high shot will travel right over the dogs.

And if your dogs are anything like ours, they will hide after the first shot:bolt:

Also +1 on the maverick. Handled one at Academy and really liked it.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Mossberg.
the Maverick is very similar to the 500, which is a great platform.
Easy to operate, clean, and handle.
Had an 18" 500 Persuader, but sold it to help fund its replacement,a 14" 590A1.
Still waiting on the 14" 590A1.

Have fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom