Beginners shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct, I did the whole ATF form 4 thing.
Been about a month so far, I'm told it takes 3-6 months.
A bit off-topic but I did this through H&H and if I'd known all they fill out was an ATF form 4, I would've done it myself and saved a little $.
I could've done more thorough research, but I was just excited that they actually had it at H&H.
Oh well.

Have fun.

*edit*
SBR = short barreled rifle
SBS = short barreled shotgun
SBW = short barreled weapon? I guess?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd much rather the bad guys get out of dodge before I have to shoot one in my home. That said, I don't count on that happening if they are inside...obviously they are not there to have coffee with me and the family. It might be seen as a risk to signal your position and/or intent, but I would like to think more than a few bad guys would get the heck out. If they don't...then it's obviously a no-hesitation, go-time situation.

Maybe so. I see your point. Of course, I'd rather the bad guys leave of their own accord.

However, in my book, if bad guys are in the house, there is a lot to do and not much time to do it in. If there is time, call 911, leave phone off hook when done talking. If you feel the need to communicate with the bad guys, trying to get them to leave, yell that you've called 911. Personally, I do not want to signal where I am, if I am armed, how I am armed, how many people I have with me. The sound of a pump action being worked gives entirely too much information.

Just my 2 cents.

jej

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington's 870 is a good place to start. They make a Home Defense model with synthetic furniture, 18.5'' barrel, have an extended magazine tube, and H&H has them around $400 dollars. They are an excellent set-up for home defense when stoked with #9 bird shot.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Contrary to the conventional thought that a 12 ga pump is the best home defense, I've always preferred the semi-auto shotgun.
My main way of thinking is that if you are injured in the fight, you can change to the weak side and still be able to get off rounds one handed.(practicing using your weak side would be good) If using the pump, your screwed unless you know how and practice one hand pumping, but that takes a lot longer, than just pulling a trigger. Thats just my opinion:D

This is true, but you do have to consider, when that perp hears that pump sound... I think any BG would know what Shhhick Shhhhick means.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of pump recomendations, but what if your home invader has a .45ACP that we all know, a shot in the wrist with take your arm off at the shoulder:rotflmao:

Will you still be able to stay in the fight with one arm useless to pump the next round? Its possible, but slow. I'm still going with the short barrel semi-auto.
Like others have said, there is very little shot spread even with a cylinder bore at house hold ranges. If a person reloads, there are spreader wads that are designed to open up the shot spread. Hunters use them in a full choke gun if they want to hunt game like quail that are typically a close shot.
At household distances, it won't be much but it will open it up a little.
There are some pretty impressive loads that could be used for HD in the 20ga if you decide to go that way. Hevi-shot comes to mind.

Flyboy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Remington's 870 is a good place to start. They make a Home Defense model with synthetic furniture, 18.5'' barrel, have an extended magazine tube, and H&H has them around $400 dollars. They are an excellent set-up for home defense when stoked with #9 bird shot.
Birdshot for personal defense? #9, of all things?

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm, and http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs13.htm#Federal PD Shotshell

(The latter shows #2 shot failing to meet penetration guidelines; I sincerely doubt #9 will do any better.)

Use birdshot for birds. Use something heavier for social work.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contrary to the conventional thought that a 12 ga pump is the best home defense, I've always preferred the semi-auto shotgun.
My main way of thinking is that if you are injured in the fight, you can change to the weak side and still be able to get off rounds one handed.(practicing using your weak side would be good) If using the pump, your screwed unless you know how and practice one hand pumping, but that takes a lot longer, than just pulling a trigger. Thats just my opinion:D

The flip side to that argument though is that you can run into cycling problems if you don't have a firm placement of the shotgun when firing. The shotgun equivalent of limp wristing.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the 870 a Semi-auto? What about the Maverick? I know this is a basic question, but my knowledge of the hardware is very limited.

Latest posts

Top Bottom